Civil / Structural Engineer
We create great places and the connections that get people and goods moving-whether by car, bus, train, plane, or their own two feet. Working within the context of the communities we serve, we provide planning, engineering, and infrastructure management services that fit the needs of our clients and improve the overall transportation experience. Join our team and help us keep communities connected. Your Opportunity The role of a Civil/Structural Engineer is to work independently on projects, and as a Construction Management team member of larger Design/Build and Design/Bid/Build projects under the guidance of a Senior Engineer. The Civil/Structural Engineer should be able to evaluate, select, specify, and engineer systems or products for projects such as bridges and other transportation structures. They will provide immediate supervision and guidance to a group of employees, assigning tasks, checking work at frequent intervals for accuracy and completeness; and maintaining schedules. They will review plans and designs and support construction oversight for civil and structural engineering projects such as bridges, highway improvements, roadway reconstruction, railway stations, railroad and utility infrastructure and public spaces. Provides resources and schedules in response to specified completion dates and technical applications. Prepares proposals and cost estimates and evaluates all project progress and recommends changes, if needed, in final procedures.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Reviews and comments on complex engineering design tasks on assigned projects
- Supports Lead Engineers' management of the design and construction of projects, and provides civil/structural engineering input
- Supports Lead Engineers and leads other team members while working on projects
- Conducts quality assurance and quality control on own projects
- Prepares construction contract documents, project proposals, change orders, plans and reports
- Performs calculations using company standard software and proprietary manufacturer software
- Attends client/contractor/stakeholder meetings to gain a better understanding of client's goals
- Recognizes when technical problems are developing and initiates appropriate corrective actions
- Monitors own work, reporting to the Lead Engineers and that of project team to ensure budgets and schedules are being met
- Trains less experienced team members in day-to-day activities including routine technical design, processing, and company procedures
- Utilizes relevant software programs to prepare exhibits and complex working drawings
- Performs other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned
- Thorough understanding of all phases of project document production
- Thorough understanding of codes, legal and design requirements in relevant jurisdictions.
- Proficient in AutoCAD and any other relevant design software.
- Knowledge of calculations performed by software.
- Proficient in Microsoft (MS) Office Suite.
- Ability to effectively discuss project issues with clients and reviewing agencies.
- Ability to solve complex problems using sound professional judgment, creativity, and innovation.
- Ability to check the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting, engage in creative and critical thought, and effectively communicate ideas, design issues and solutions to others.
- Ability to create and interpret sketches, drawings, and various structures.
- Possess a valid driver's license and good driving record
Position will primarily work in an office setting; may require some field work.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top