Civil Engineering Designer
We create great places and the connections that get people and goods moving-whether by car, bus, train, plane, or their own two feet. Working within the context of the communities we serve, we provide planning, engineering, and infrastructure management services that fit the needs of our clients and improve the overall transportation experience. Join our team and help us keep communities connected.
The role of a Civil Designer is to work as a team member on small and large projects under the guidance of a Senior Engineer. The Civil Designer will work under close supervision of a Senior Engineer to develop skills in evaluating, selecting, specifying, and designing systems or products for a project. A Civil Designer will perform a variety of tasks which may include assisting with the plans and designs of various infrastructure projects.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Use knowledge of the general concepts of relevant civil engineering elements including the design of roadways, drainage, grading, water and sewer and land development projects.
- Assist team in preparing drawings and reports; conduct basic calculations and perform other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned.
- Assist team in preparing construction contract documents, project proposals, change orders, plans and reports
- Attend and assist in client/contractor/stakeholder meetings to gain a better understanding of client's goals
- Perform field work as directed by a senior engineer/designer
- Monitors own work to ensure keeping on set schedule
- Utilize relevant software programs to prepare exhibits and complex working drawings; continue to develop skills using software programs for design and/or drafting
- Assists with engineering duties on projects of various complexity
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- General understanding of general concepts of relevant areas of civil design
- Proficient in AutoCAD (Civil 3D preferred) and/or MicroStation (InRoads preferred)
- Excellent oral, written and graphic communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Ability to solve problems using sound professional judgement, creativity, and innovation
- Ability to participate and collaborate in a project team setting, engage in creative and critical thought, and effectively communicate concepts and ideas to others
- Takes initiative on tasks and coordinates with other members of the design team
- Ability to create and interpret sketches, drawings, and various elements
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Civil Engineering or related field. Minimum of 0-2 years of experience. Co-op/Internship experience preferred.
Position will primarily work in an office setting; may require some field work.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Designer
Primary Location: United States-New York-New York
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Entry Level
Req ID: 19000381
Back to top