Civil Engineer, Water/Wastewater
At Stantec, we approach every water and natural resource project we undertake-whether at the local, regional, or watershed level- thoughtfully, and execute it with excellence across all project phases. We partner with our clients to design fit-for-purpose solutions that address their communities' unique needs throughout the water infrastructure lifecycle. Our experts lead their fields and guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. We're a place where you can apply your passion and collaborate with top talent on work that's critical to our clients, our communities, and the industry at large.
The role of a Water/Wastewater Engineer is to work independently on smaller projects and as a team member of a larger projects under the guidance of a senior engineer/designer. You should be able to evaluate, select, specify, cost, and engineer systems or products for a project. This role will perform a variety of tasks which may include calculations and field work. The projects assigned may be broad, varied and diverse in scope. Work will include water, wastewater, and stormwater conveyance, treatment, disposal and regulatory compliance projects, and commercial, public, and private site development.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Performs more complex engineering design tasks on assigned water, wastewater, and site development projects under the guidance of the Project Manager, including engineering calculations, engineering drawings, engineering reports, client presentations and required applications to regulatory and/or funding agencies.
- Engages in the development of a design through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats.
- Assists senior engineers/designers with developing and managing the project scope, budget, staffing, and schedule.
- May lead the preparation and coordination of the project specifications with construction documents.
- Conducts quality assurance and quality control on own projects.
- May be responsible for the review and sealing of own projects or the work of the others.
- Manages the design and construction of projects, and provides input on means and methods of project execution.
- Involved in the permitting process of projects, which may require meeting with clients, contractors, interested stakeholder parties, reviewing agency personnel.
- Coordinates with the regulatory review to seek final approval.
- Assists in the development and updates of project design standards and guidelines and technical papers.
- May be called upon to be a task leader on larger projects.
- Predominantly a technical and design position, may include elements of project management depending upon experience and aptitude.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- General understanding of all phases of project document production, client procurement procedures, and regulatory approval processes.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Ability to effectively discuss project issues with clients, contractors, equipment suppliers/vendors, funding agencies and reviewing agencies; to deliver technical presentations in public forums in conferences and technical symposia.
- Possesses excellent time-management skills; thorough understanding of task assignment and schedule, budgeting and efficient use of time and available resources.
- Thorough understanding of local and regional jurisdictional codes, legal and design requirements in relevant jurisdictions, specifically pertaining to Alaskan communities.
- Proficient in Microsoft (MS) Office Suite and Adobe.
- Proficient in AutoCAD, and at least one 3D and/or GIS platform preferred which may include AutoCAD, Civil3D, REVIT, InfoWORKS, WaterCAD, ESRI, and ArcGIS in accordance with expertise.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with Anchorage Water and Wastewater Utility projects, practices and staff preferred.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Civil, Mechanical, or Environmental Engineering (civil emphasis) from an accredited institution. Masters of Science in Civil, Environmental (civil emphasis), or Mechanical Engineering with an emphasis in water and/or wastewater from an accredited institution preferred.
Licensed Professional Engineer. Alaska License required, or ability to obtain Alaska license within three months of hire.
Minimum of 5-10 years of professional experience.
Typical office environment working with computers and sitting at a desk. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Alaska-Anchorage
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Req ID: 190002VE
Back to top