Civil Engineer - Water/Wastewater
At Stantec, we approach every water and natural resource project we undertake-whether at the local, regional, or watershed level- thoughtfully, and execute it with excellence across all project phases. We partner with our clients to design fit-for-purpose solutions that address their communities' unique needs throughout the water infrastructure lifecycle. Our experts lead their fields and guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. We're a place where you can apply your passion and collaborate with top talent on work that's critical to our clients, our communities, and the industry at large.
The role of a Senior Water/Wastewater Engineer is to serve as the technical lead on components of small and large projects. The role will include supervising and providing technical guidance to more junior engineering and design staff. The engineer should be able to evaluate, select, specify, and engineer systems or products for a project. As a senior engineer, you will perform a variety of tasks which may include calculations and field work. The projects that a senior engineer may be assigned to may have complex features that will require the application of mature knowledge and experience.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Provides technical leadership for water and/or wastewater-related projects completely, including the management of existing client relationships and bringing in new clients.
- Responsible for the review and sealing of projects.
- Supervises the work of other engineers, including setting the priorities for their scope of work, their budgets, and their schedules for completing the work in conjunction with Project Manager(s).
- Leads the technical preparation and coordination of the process design, project detailed design, project specifications with construction documents, including technical documentation from equipment suppliers/vendors (e.g., proposals, contracts, shop drawings, deliverables, scope of supply, deliverables, test data, etc.) to ensure compliance with project requirements.
- Responsible for supporting project managers in the drafting of project invoices.
- Performs on technically complex projects and acts as a technical resource by providing guidance to other team members.
- Liaise with clients, regulatory and/or funding agencies and others to obtain and determine project requirements and approvals.
- Remain current on regulatory policy and rule changes and may establish working relationships with regulatory officials.
- Support marketing and business development professionals in positioning for potential projects, writing technical portions of proposals, participating in client interviews, and supporting negotiations for project contracts.
- Support Project Manager(s) with technical evidenced proposals as project issues arise with clients, contractors, equipment suppliers/vendors, or reviewing agencies.
- Engages in leadership in professional organizations that align with expertise; writes technical papers and delivers technical presentations for conference and symposia events.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Efficient project execution of multiple concurrent projects.
- Ability to check the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manages time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Understands client expectations, project budgeting, proposal writing, invoicing.
- Technical expert in all relevant areas of design and understanding of various design methods.
- Proficient in Microsoft (MS) Office Suite, Adobe and AutoCAD.
- Effective communicator and able to work on and lead teams.
- Proficient in relevant 2D required, both 3D platform preferred (Autodesk and Bentley) design software, which may include AutoCAD Civil3D, InfoWORKS, PondKing, StormCAD, WaterCAD, Biowin, GPS-X, Visual MINTEQ and HADES, in accordance with expertise.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Civil, Mechanical, Chemical, or Civil/Environmental Engineering from an accredited institution.
Masters of Science in Civil/Environmental, Mechanical, or Chemical Engineering from an accredited institution preferred.
Licensed Professional Engineer.
Minimum of 10-15 years of experience.
Or the combination of education and experience to qualify for licensure within one year of hire.
Typical office environment working with computers and sitting at a desk. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Minnesota-Minneapolis
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 1800020N
Back to top