Civil Engineer, Water Power and Dams, Sacramento
Join a team that has been partnering with our clients for more than 100 years to improve the quality of life around the world. When it comes to hydropower, dams, locks and navigation projects, we design with the next generation in mind. We operate with the strength of a $3B company paired with the agility of a specialized waterpower and dams group, to deliver some of the most iconic and cutting edge projects around the world. This proud legacy has fostered a culture of innovation and safety, leading our team to design the world's most impactful waterpower and dam projects-projects vital to both local and global communities.
Your Opportunity Stantec is currently looking to add a Civil / Structural Engineer to support our Northern California Waterpower and Dams practice. The ideal candidate will have a strong background and/or interest in engineering design in the field of Waterpower & Dams. We encourage to apply if you possess advanced knowledge of civil and structural engineering principles and practices in broad areas of assignments and related fields, with specific emphasis in large civil infrastructure related to dams and hydropower.
The candidate must have familiarity with performing engineering problems and methods; and use advanced analysis techniques including the modification and extension of theories, precepts, and practices of the field and related sciences and disciplines. Applicant must be capable of working effectively with teams and clients, and be willing to learn from peers and supervisors.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Work products will include field investigations and working on design of water conveyance and storage facilities, dams, and hydropower projects. • Participant on multidisciplinary teams in an office environment as well as in virtual team environment.
- Perform preliminary and detailed civil and structural analysis for hydraulic structures and facilities for dams and other hydroelectric related projects, specifically including: Intake structures for dams and reservoirs with multi-level gates, Penstocks and outlet conduits, Energy dissipation structures, Control building and gate houses housing mechanical and electrical equipment for operation of dams and reservoirs, and Powerhouse structures for hydro-power plants.
- Preparation of studies, design criteria, design reports, plans and specifications, and quality assurance reviews of related designs and construction plans, and support of construction.
- Organize, draft and coordinate production of various reports to ensure technical consistency and inclusion of appropriate documentation
- Inspect construction for compliance with specifications; review and approve drawings; conduct field inspections; review progress versus schedule.
- Support multi-disciplinary teams on civil and structural engineering projects.
- Evaluate alternatives and resolve technical questions.
- Assist with preparation of budgets and scopes of work.
- Organize, draft and coordinate production of drawings and specifications to ensure technical accuracy.
- Serve as civil and structural engineer on small- to mid-sized projects and work on several projects concurrently.
- Assist in project administration including writing reports, gathering information, drafting proposals, drafting correspondence, and completing progress reports.
- Assist technical staff in field activities including site inspections, shop inspections, monitoring and other fieldwork.
- Work in a manner to ensure your personal safety and that of fellow employees by following company health and safety guideline and policies.
- The successful candidate will have strong organizational skills, multitasking ability, and excellent computer skills. The position also requires excellent verbal and written communication skills, report preparation, and the ability to work with engineering staff at all levels. Some travel may be required.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to prepare complete, concise and organized engineering calculations and analyses.
- You will be based out of Walnut Creek, but requires willingness to work in a virtual team across offices and occasional project travel throughout Northern CA and west coast.
- Strong willingness to be a part of a large global engineering company and to work with teams in other offices around the world.
- Preferred Specifications: Supervisory skills & Previous consultative work experience
Qualifications and Experience Master's Degree preferred in Civil Engineering
Minimum of 5 years' experience in the design and implementation of large infrastructure
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top