Civil Engineer in Training - Water Group
At Stantec, we approach every water and natural resource project we undertake-whether at the local, regional, or watershed level- thoughtfully, and execute it with excellence across all project phases. We partner with our clients to design fit-for-purpose solutions that address their communities' unique needs throughout the water infrastructure lifecycle. Our experts lead their fields and guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. We're a place where you can apply your passion and collaborate with top talent on work that's critical to our clients, our communities, and the industry at large.
The role of a civil engineer is to work on smaller projects and as a team member of larger projects under the guidance and supervision of a more senior engineer/designer. You should be able to evaluate, select, specify, and engineer systems or products for a project. You will perform a variety of tasks, which may include calculations and field work. A civil engineer will assist more senior engineers/designers by performing the routine aspects of civil engineering assignments and may assist in the analysis of proposed projects.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Performs civil engineering design tasks on assigned projects, which may include engineering drawings, hydraulic system calculations, pipe design calculations, engineering reports, design criteria, and prepares required applications for regulatory agencies.
- Understands conveyance system construction elements and prepares designs that include defining work area limits.
- Recognizes when technical problems are developing and initiates appropriate corrective actions.
- Prepares hydraulic system calculations, pipe design calculations and creates basic reports and design criteria for projects.
- Prepares conveyance system plan and profile drawings and details.
- Utilizes relevant software programs to prepare exhibits and more complex design drawings.
- Monitors own work and that of any project team member they are training to ensure budgets and schedules are being met.
- Assists in the preparation of engineering project proposals, change orders, client contact and communication pertaining to specific projects.
- Understands and uses industry standards and manuals (i.e. ASTM, AWWA, ACPA, etc.) as well as client and regulatory agencies' standards and requirements to prepare compliant designs.
- Reviews contract documents for construction (i.e. engineering drawings and specifications) and applies them.
- Understands impacts and constraints due to environmental and permitting requirements.
- Supports the civil team in providing services during construction that can include submittal reviews, responses to requests for information and contract document clarifications.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Intermediate level understanding of general concepts of relevant areas of conveyance engineering design, including gravity and pressure systems hydraulics, geotechnical, civil design.
- Ability to solve problems using sound professional judgment, creativity and innovation.
- Working knowledge of codes, legal and design requirements in relevant jurisdictions and developing jurisdictional experience and contacts.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to work efficiently and effectively within a team.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, as well as relevant software programs, which may include AutoCAD Civil3D, Bentley MicroStation, GIS, HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS, StormCAD, WaterCAD, InfoWater, and AFT Fathom (or other conveyance system hydraulic modeling software).
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Engineering & EIT. Minimum of 2-3 years of experience. Working toward licensure.
Typical office environment working with computers. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer - EIT
Primary Location: United States-Texas-Austin
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Entry Level
Req ID: 190000P9
Back to top