Civil Engineer in Training - Land Development
- San Antonio, TX
Strong communities don't just happen-they're built. They're creatively imagined, collaboratively planned, and readied to face tomorrow with optimism. We're driving the future of Community Development. Our experts lead their fields, collaborating on projects that are as technically challenging as they are impactful, creative, and fulfilling. We're a place where you can apply your passion-and find endless opportunities to help make communities more equitable, resilient, and livable.
The role of a Civil Engineer in Training (EIT) is to work as a team member on a range of projects from pad site developments to large master-planned communities under the close guidance and supervision of a Professional Engineer or Project Manager. You will perform a variety of tasks which may include calculations, drafting/sketching of design solutions, specifications, and field work. You will assist more senior engineers/designers by performing the routine aspects of civil engineering assignments, such as design of street, drainage, water and wastewater plans, and assist in the analysis of proposed projects, including preparation of preliminary site assessments and drainage reports.
The Civil Engineer in Training (EIT) is responsible for working closely with Stantec's project team on residential, commercial, mixed-use, urban/downtown, and/or industrial development projects which may include infrastructure design, open drainage channel evaluation/design, construction observation, contract administration, land and earthworks analysis, stormwater management, and studies for feasibility, servicing, drainage, and property development potential.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Support project team in development of design documentation, plans, and reports for relevant commercial and residential development and public infrastructure projects
- Prepare and revise documentation in various project phases including site assessments, site plans, drawings and reports
- Work with other engineering disciplines and professionals in the coordination of the project under the direction of a senior engineer/ designer
- Assist in the review of drawings and submittals, respond to requests for information, prepare site observation reports, and perform other contract administration tasks
- Assist with the development of specifications, and in the evaluation and selection of civil systems and materials
- Attend project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external stakeholders
- Participate in value engineering and basic cost estimating
- Implement sustainable design principles
- Perform calculations to analyze and design civil system components using company standard software and proprietary manufacturer software
- Perform field work as directed by a senior engineer/ designer
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Ability to work and collaborate in a positive teamwork environment, to engage in creative and critical thought, and effectively communicate ideas to others
- Working knowledge of relevant areas of civil engineering codes and design criteria, including requirements of local reviewing agencies
- Knowledge of civil engineering design, plan set and specification preparation, and obtaining agencies approvals
- Knowledge of civil engineering design processes in land and site development
- Experience in planning and design of stormwater and BMP projects
- Knowledge of H&H practices, modeling methods, and design
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and AutoCAD Civil 3D required; knowledge of other engineering software is a plus
- Previous experience with AutoCAD (Civil 3D), XPSWMM, HEC-RAS (1D/2D), HEC-HMS, PondPack, GIS, MICROSTATION/GEOPAK strongly preferred
- Ability to recognize when technical problems are developing and initiate appropriate corrective actions using sound professional judgment, creativity and innovation
- Ability to check own work for accuracy and completeness, and manage time to meet project budget and schedule
- Must have a good driving record, and valid driver's license
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Civil Engineering or related field
- EIT Texas Certification
- Minimum of 2-3 years of experience in and around Bexar County
You will work in an open-concept office environment. Some local travel may be required, such as attending meetings or visiting job sites. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer - EIT
Primary Location: United States-Texas-San Antonio
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Req ID: 200001I6
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans
Back to top