Civil Engineer in Training (EIT)- Transportation
- Mechanicsburg, PA
We create great places and the connections that get people and goods moving-whether by car, bus, train, plane, or their own two feet. Working within the context of the communities we serve, we provide planning, engineering, and infrastructure management services that fit the needs of our clients and improve the overall transportation experience. Join our team and help us keep communities connected.
The role of a Civil/Highway Engineer in Training is to work independently on smaller projects, and as a team member of a larger project under the guidance of a Senior Engineer.
A Civil/Highway Engineer in Training will perform a variety of tasks (primarily roadway design related for public clients) which may include assisting with the plans and designs of structures and facilities such as bridges, railroads, roadways, airports, harbors, dams, irrigation projects, pipelines, tunnels, power plants and other projects.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Performs engineering design tasks on relevant civil engineering elements including the design of roadways, drainage, grading, etc. under supervision of Project Engineer or Project Manager, including engineering drawings, engineering reports and required applications to regulatory agencies.
- Assists with the management of the design and construction of projects and provides input.
- Attends and assists in client/contractor/stakeholder meetings to gain a better understanding of client's goals.
- Involved in the permitting process of projects, which may require meeting with clients, contractors, reviewing agency personnel.
- Trains less experienced team members in day-to-day activities including routine technical design, processing and company procedures.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Ability to solve problems using sound professional judgment, creativity and innovation.
- Ability to effectively discuss project issues with clients and reviewing agencies.
- Possesses excellent time-management skills; Thorough understanding of task assignment and schedule, budgeting and efficient use of time and resources.
- Working knowledge of PennDOT and Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission design criteria, design manuals, and standards.
- Proficient in Microstation or AutoCAD, as well as relevant software programs which may include In Roads/Open Roads, Civil3D, Auto Turn, HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS, StormCAD, PondPack, Syncro, SIDRA, and Rodel.
- Familiarity with the Pa One Call System, PennDOT ECMS, and PennDOT EPS Systems.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Civil Engineering or related field & working toward licensure.
Minimum of 3 years of experience in highway design and plan preparation for the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation and or the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission.
Engineer in Training Certification is required; Licensed Professional Engineer is a plus.
Position will primarily work in an office setting; may require some field work.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Pennsylvania-Mechanicsburg
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Req ID: 200000FY
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans
Back to top