Civil Engineer in Training
Strong communities don't just happen-they're built. They're creatively imagined, collaboratively planned, and readied to face tomorrow with optimism. We're driving the future of Community Development. Our experts lead their fields, collaborating on projects that are as technically challenging as they are impactful, creative, and fulfilling. We're a place where you can apply your passion-and find endless opportunities to help make communities more equitable, resilient, and livable. Your Opportunity The role of a Civil Engineer-in-Training/Designer is to work on smaller projects, and as a team member of a larger project under the close guidance and supervision of a senior engineer/designer. You should be able to evaluate, select, specify, and engineer systems or products for a project. You will perform a variety of tasks which may include calculations and field work. The smaller projects that a Civil Designer may be assigned to will have relatively few complex features.
As a Civil Engineer-in-Training/Designer, you will assist more senior engineers/designers by performing the routine aspects of civil engineering assignments, and may also assist in the analysis of proposed projects. Your Key Responsibilities
- Inspection of construction sites for compliance with professional engineering principals and specifications and coordinate related project requirements
- Assist with plans and specifications, CAD drafting and project delivery
- Facilitate weekly meetings with City, County, Townships or developers
- Review plans and specifications for standard or routine requirements and calculate and document materials on the project
- Respond to contractors, clients and citizen questions and concerns and mediate conflict
- Recommend approval of contractor pay requests
- Complete reports detailing inspection results, quantities of materials used, and daily activities
- Coordinate testing on projects
- Develop CAD plans, drawings, reports and design requirements
- Prepare sections of documents using standard text and, to a limited extent, compose original text
- Complete tasks within budget and deadline
- Develop positive relationships with co-workers, clients, citizens, regulatory agencies and contractors through tactful and effective communication
- Basic understanding of general concepts of relevant areas of civil engineering design
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought
- Understanding of civil engineering concepts and ability to effectively communicate ideas to others
- Ability to interpret sketches, drawings, plans and other similar material
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite and basic AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Developing cooperative skills in working efficiently within a team
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail
- Must have a vehicle, good driving record and valid drivers license
MNDOT certifications preferred.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top