Civil Engineer In Training
Strong communities don't just happen-they're built. They're creatively imagined, collaboratively planned, and readied to face tomorrow with optimism. We're driving the future of Community Development. Our experts lead their fields, collaborating on projects that are as technically challenging as they are impactful, creative, and fulfilling. We're a place where you can apply your passion-and find endless opportunities to help make communities more equitable, resilient, and livable. Your Opportunity The role of a Civil Designer is to work on smaller projects, and as a team member of a larger project under the close guidance and supervision of a senior engineer/designer. You should be able to evaluate, select, specify, and engineer systems or products for a project. You will perform a variety of tasks which may include calculations and field work. The smaller projects that a Civil Designer may be assigned to will have relatively few complex features.
As a Civil Designer, you will assist more senior engineers/designers by performing the routine aspects of civil engineering assignments, and may also assist in the analysis of proposed projects. Your Key Responsibilities
- Performs civil design using knowledge of relevant software programs.
- Works with other engineering disciplines and professionals in the coordination of the project under the direction of a senior engineer/ designer.
- Performs field work as directed by a senior engineer/ designer.
- Performs basic calculations to analyze and design civil system components using company standard software and proprietary manufacturer software.
- Assists with engineering duties on projects of various complexity.
- Assists with collecting data and gathering information to support design decisions.
- Assists in basic interpretation and verifying compliance with applicable codes and engineering standards and practices.
- Performs a variety of tasks which may include analyzing proposed project solutions to ensure structural reliability, resource efficiently and cost effectiveness.
- Constructs models to identify project specifications and meet related needs by performing routing aspects of engineering assignments.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the senior engineering staff.
- Basic understanding of general concepts of relevant areas of civil engineering design.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Understanding of civil engineering concepts and ability to effectively communicate ideas to others.
- Ability to interpret sketches, drawings, building program and other similar material.
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite and basic AutoCAD Civil 3D.
- Developing cooperative skills in working efficiently within a team.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top