Civil Engineer - Highway/Roadway
We create great places and the connections that get people and goods moving-whether by car, bus, train, plane, or their own two feet. Working within the context of the communities we serve, we provide planning, engineering, and infrastructure management services that fit the needs of our clients and improve the overall transportation experience. Join our team and help us keep communities connected.
The role of a Civil Engineer is to work independently on smaller projects, and as a team member of a larger project under the guidance of a Senior Engineer. The Civil Engineer should be able to evaluate, select, specify, and engineer systems or products for a project.
A Civil Engineer will provide immediate supervision and guidance to a group of employees, assigning tasks, checking work at frequent intervals for accuracy and completeness; and maintaining schedules.
A Civil Engineer will perform a variety of tasks which may include designing and planning structures and facilities such as bridges, railroads, roads, airports, harbors, dams, irrigation projects, pipelines, tunnels, power plants and other projects. They will analyze proposed projects to ensure structural reliability, resource efficiency and cost-effectiveness and may construct models to identify project specifications and meet related needs.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Performs complex engineering design tasks on assigned projects.
- May be responsible for the review and sealing of own projects or the work of the others.
- Responsible for planning, scheduling, conducting and coordinating the technical aspects of assigned projects.
- Prepares project plans and drawings for various projects including urban and rural roadways, highways, rail, transit, trails, intersections and traffic signals.
- Prepares construction contract documents, project proposals, change orders, plans and reports.
- Performs calculations using company standard software and proprietary manufacturer software.
- Performs research, obtains traffic data, makes calculations and conducts transportation analyses.
- Conducts basic interpretations of drawings, codes, and other similar materials.
- Conducts quality assurance and quality control on own projects.
- Coordinates with clients, regulatory/resource agencies, and local governments.
- Resolves technical project issues, presents reports and designs, and provides service to meet client's goals.
- Monitors own work and that of project team to ensure budgets and schedules are being met.
- Utilizes relevant software programs to prepare exhibits and complex working drawings.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Ability to effectively discuss project issues with clients and reviewing agencies.
- Thorough understanding of codes, legal and design requirements in relevant jurisdictions.
- Ability to solve complex problems using sound professional judgement, creativity, and innovation.
- Proficient in MicroStation-Geopak SS3-4, OpenRoads, Geopak Drainage, AutoCAD Civil3D, InRoads and any other relevant design software.
- Proficient in Microsoft (MS) Office Suite.
- Experience with 3-D Modeling and graphic presentation.
- Strong knowledge of the Department of Transportation's legal requirements, design/planning procedures, and PSE plan production in relevant jurisdictions.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting, engage in creative and critical though, and effectively communicate ideas, design issues and solutions to others.
- Ability to create and interpret sketches, drawings, and various exhibits.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Civil Engineering or related field & Licensed Professional Engineer. Minimum 5 years of experience.
Position will primarily work in an office setting; may require some field work.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Texas-Austin
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 190002LS
Back to top