At Stantec, we approach every water and natural resource project we undertake-whether at the local, regional, or watershed level- thoughtfully, and execute it with excellence across all project phases. We partner with our clients to design fit-for-purpose solutions that address their communities' unique needs throughout the water infrastructure lifecycle. Our experts lead their fields and guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. We're a place where you can apply your passion and collaborate with top talent on work that's critical to our clients, our communities, and the industry at large.
The role of a Civil Engineer or Engineer-in-Training with Structural emphasis is to work on smaller projects and as a team member of larger projects under the guidance and supervision of a senior Structural Engineer. You should be able to evaluate, select, specify, and engineer systems or products for a project. You will perform a variety of tasks which may include calculations and field work. You will assist more senior engineers/designers by performing the routine aspects of engineering assignments and may assist in the analysis of proposed projects.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Preparing complete, concise, and organized engineering calculations and analyses.
- Assist in the preparation of engineering project documents, client presentations, client contact and communication pertaining to specific project deliverables.
- Attend and assist in client, contractor, stakeholder, and regulatory agency meetings to gain a better understanding of client's goals, site assessments, and vendor/equipment supplier contacts and coordination.
- Performing preliminary and detailed structural analysis and design for Water and Wastewater Treatment Plants, Reservoirs, other Hydraulic Containment Facilities, Industrial and Administrative Buildings.
- Supporting multi-disciplinary teams on civil and structural engineering projects.
- Assisting with structural engineering on small- to large-sized projects and work on several projects concurrently.
- Developing plans and specifications for construction.
- Design, analysis and specification of reinforced concrete, masonry and structural steel systems primarily; may also include aluminum, timber and other materials.
- Utilizing BIM/CAD software to develop construction drawings and 3D models.
- Assisting in project administration including writing reports, gathering information, drafting proposals, drafting correspondence, tracking project costs and completing progress reports.
- Reviewing Contractor's shop drawing and submittals regarding structural work and investigating and developing engineered solutions to Contractor's Requests for Information.
- Assisting technical staff in field activities including structural observations, monitoring and other fieldwork.
- Working in a manner to ensure your personal safety and that of fellow employees by following company health and safety guidelines and policies.
- Receiving OSHA training for jobsite safety and confined space entry to assist with observations and other construction site related activities.
- Occasional travel.
- Performing other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Ability to solve problems using sound professional judgment.
- Ability to interpret sketches, drawings and other similar material.
- Ability to check own work for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in a project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Developing ability to effectively discuss project issues with clients and reviewing agencies.
- Proficient in Microsoft (MS) Office Suite and Adobe.
- Experience producing 3D models and 2D structural engineering drawings using Bentley Structural/AEOCsim and Microstation, or Revit and AutoCAD
- Experience with the use of finite element software STAAD, RAM, or SAP 2000.
- Demonstrated leadership experience in professional engineering organizations or equivalent at the student or professional level.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Civil or Structural Engineering from an accredited institution. Master's degree, preferred.
EIT License required, PE License preferred.
Minimum of 2-5 years of experience.
Working toward licensure.
Typical office environment working with computers and sitting at a desk. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-Sacramento
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Entry Level
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: 180000YD
Back to top