Strong communities don't just happen-they're built. They're creatively imagined, collaboratively planned, and readied to face tomorrow with optimism. We're driving the future of Community Development. Our experts lead their fields, collaborating on projects that are as technically challenging as they are impactful, creative, and fulfilling. We're a place where you can apply your passion-and find endless opportunities to help make communities more equitable, resilient, and livable. Your Opportunity The role of a Civil Engineer is to work independently on smaller projects, and as part of a team on larger projects under the guidance and supervision of a senior engineer/designer. Typical projects include both public infrastructure as well as private developments. Tasks will cover a broad range of civil engineering skills and may include design and analysis for grading and surface improvements, hydrology/hydraulics, water resources and transportation. You should be able to evaluate, select, specify, and engineer design elements and products for a project. You will perform a variety of tasks which may include calculations, and field work. A Civil Engineer will assist more senior engineers/designers by performing the routine aspects of civil engineering assignments and may also assist in the analysis of proposed projects. Your Key Responsibilities
- Supports project team in development of design documentation, plans, and reports for relevant project design elements.
- Assists in the development of a design through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats.
- Utilizes technologies in development of three dimensional models of civil systems.
- Prepares and revises documentation in various project phases including site plans, diagrams, and details.
- Coordinates with other team members to ensure compatibility with the design intent.
- Assists in the review of shop drawings and submittals, responds to request for information, prepares site observation reports, and performs other contract administration tasks.
- Assists with the development of project civil specifications.
- Assists in the evaluation and selection of civil systems and materials.
- Attends project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants.
- Participates in value engineering and basic cost estimating.
- Implements sustainable design principles.
- Performs calculations to analyze and design civil system components using company standard software and proprietary manufacturer software.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD and Civil3D
- Proficiency or ability to quickly learn CADvrelevant software programs which may include GIS applications, HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS, StormCAD, WaterCAD, and PondPack.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Working knowledge and application of the California Building, Fire and Plumbing Codes as well as pertinent standards and specifications relative to local jurisdictions.
- Basic knowledge of civil systems means and methods, materials, and industry standards.
- Basic understanding of all phases of engineering document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications.
- Recognize when technical problems are developing and initiate appropriate corrective actions using sound professional judgment, creativity, and innovation.
- Ability to check own work for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Ability to interpret sketches, drawings, and other similar material.
- Take initiative on tasks and in coordinating with other members of the design team.
- Ability to effectively discuss project issues with clients and reviewing agencies.
- Valid Driver's License and good driving record required.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top