At Stantec, we approach every water and natural resource project we undertake-whether at the local, regional, or watershed level- thoughtfully, and execute it with excellence across all project phases. We partner with our clients to design fit-for-purpose solutions that address their communities' unique needs throughout the water infrastructure lifecycle. Our experts lead their fields and guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. We're a place where you can apply your passion and collaborate with top talent on work that's critical to our clients, our communities, and the industry at large.
Your Opportunity The role of civil engineer is to work independently on smaller projects and as a team member of larger projects under the guidance of a senior engineer/designer. You should be able to evaluate, select, specify, and engineer systems or products for a project. A civil engineer will perform a variety of tasks which, may include calculations and field work. The projects that a civil engineer may be assigned to may be broad, varied and diverse in scope, however this opportunity will particularly be focused on designing and project coordination of municipal water and wastewater infrastructure projects by open cut, trenchless technologies, and rehabilitation. Your Key Responsibilities
- Performs more complex engineering design tasks on assigned projects under supervision of Project Technical Lead or Project Manager, including engineering drawings, engineering reports and required applications to regulatory agencies.
- Conducts alternative analyses (i.e., route/alignments, pipe size and materials, etc.) to support business case evaluations for making project decisions.
- Implements understanding of conveyance system construction elements as it relates to design, to select construction methods and defining work area limits.
- Recognizes when technical problems are developing and initiates appropriate corrective actions.
- Serves as Engineer-of-Record.
- Performs hydraulic system calculations, transient analyses, pipe design calculations, engineering reports, and design criteria.
- Conducts alternative analyses (i.e. route/alignments, pipe size and materials, etc.) to support business case evaluations for making project decisions.
- Manages and leads other team members while working on projects; completes tasks and delegates specific project tasks to other team members as appropriate.
- Prepares contract documents for construction (i.e. engineering drawings and specifications) and reviews shop drawings for compliance with construction contract documents.
- Understands and implements industry standards and manuals (i.e. ASTM, AWWA, ACPA, etc.) as well as client and regulatory agency standards and requirements.
- Involved in the permitting process of projects, which may require meetings with clients, contractors, reviewing agency personnel and governing entities.
- Prepares portions of engineering project proposals, change orders, client contact and communication pertaining to specific projects.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned.
- Has well-developed understanding of general concepts of relevant areas of conveyance engineering design, including gravity and pressure systems hydraulics, rehabilitation, geotechnical, civil design.
- Ability to effectively discuss project issues with clients and reviewing agencies.
- Possesses excellent time management skills; thorough understanding of task assignment and schedule, budgeting and efficient use of time and resources.
- Possesses team leadership skills; excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Thorough understanding of codes, legal and design requirements in relevant jurisdictions.
- Ability to solve complex problems using sound professional judgment, creativity, and innovation.
- Proficient in relevant design software, which may include AutoCAD Civil3D, Bentley MicroStation, GIS, WaterCAD, InfoWater, and AFT Fathom.
- A valid Ontario driver's license is required for this position and access to a reliable vehicle is preferred.
Significant experience with piping/linear infrastructure including trunk sewers, watermains, CIPP, slip lining, pipe bursting, panel lining, shaft design, bypass flow design and condition assessment.
Typical office environment working with computers. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each others' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top