- Sarasota, FL
Strong communities don't just happen-they're built. They're creatively imagined, collaboratively planned, and readied to face tomorrow with optimism. We're driving the future of Community Development. Our experts lead their fields, collaborating on projects that are as technically challenging as they are impactful, creative, and fulfilling. We're a place where you can apply your passion-and find endless opportunities to help make communities more equitable, resilient, and livable.
The role of a Civil Engineer in Training is to work on smaller projects, and as a team member of a larger project under the close guidance and supervision of a senior engineer/designer. You should be able to evaluate, select, specify, and engineer systems or products for a project. You will perform a variety of tasks which may include calculations and field work. The smaller projects that a Civil Engineer in Training may be assigned to will have relatively few complex features.
As a Civil Engineer in Training, you will assist more senior engineers/designers by performing the routine aspects of civil engineering assignments, and may also assist in the analysis of proposed projects.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Supports project team in development of design documentation, plans, and reports for relevant project design elements.
- Assists in the development of a design through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats.
- Utilizes technologies in development of three dimensional models of civil systems.
- Prepares and revises documentation in various project phases including site plans, floor plans, diagrams, and details.
- Coordinates with other disciplines to ensure compatibility with the design intent.
- Assists in the review of shop drawings and submittals, responds to request for information, prepares site observation reports, and performs other contract administration tasks.
- Assists with the development of job specific discipline specifications.
- Assists in the evaluation and selection of civil systems and materials.
- Attends project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants.
- Participates in value engineering and basic cost estimating.
- Implements sustainable design principles .
- Performs calculations to analyze and design civil system components using company standard software and proprietary manufacturer software.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Working knowledge and application of the National Civil Code, energy codes, and other pertinent codes relative to jurisdictions and developing jurisdictional experience and contacts.
- Basic knowledge of civil systems, means and methods, materials, and industry standards.
- Basic understanding of all phases of engineering document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications.
- Recognizes when technical problems are developing and initiates appropriate corrective actions using sound professional judgment, creativity, and innovation.
- Ability to check own work for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Ability to interpret sketches, drawings, and other similar material.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD and Microsoft Office Suite, as well as relevant software programs which may include Civil3D, GIS, HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS, StormCAD, WaterCAD, and PondPack.
- Takes initiative on tasks and in coordinating with other members of the design team.
- Developing ability to effectively discuss project issues with clients and reviewing agencies.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Engineering and EIT.
- Minimum of 2-3 years of experience.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer - EIT
Primary Location: United States-Florida-Sarasota
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 190003F9
Back to top