At Stantec, we approach every water and natural resource project we undertake-whether at the local, regional, or watershed level- thoughtfully, and execute it with excellence across all project phases. We partner with our clients to design fit-for-purpose solutions that address their communities' unique needs throughout the water infrastructure lifecycle. Our experts lead their fields and guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. We're a place where you can apply your passion and collaborate with top talent on work that's critical to our clients, our communities, and the industry at large.
Stantec Consulting Engineers, Inc. has an opportunity for an experienced Civil Engineer in their Ann Arbor, MI office.
Your Opportunity The engineer's role will be to work independently on smaller projects, and as a team member of larger projects . You should be able to evaluate, select, specify, and engineer systems or products for a project. An intermediate civil engineer will perform a variety of complex tasks which may include calculations, field work, coordination of tasks and personnel. The projects assigned may be complex, broad, varied and diverse in scope. You will analyze proposed projects to ensure structural reliability, resource efficiency and cost-effectiveness. Your Key Responsibilities
- May work on multiple projects and responsible for projects of average complexity/size.
- Serves as Engineer-of-Record.
- Perform more complex engineering design tasks on assigned projects under supervision of the Project Technical Lead or Project Manager, including engineering drawings, engineering reports, presentations, and required applications to regulatory and/or funding agencies.
- Engage in the development of design through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats.
- Prepare and revise documentation in various civil phases including site plans, utility plan/profiles, grading plans, cross sections, diagrams, and details.
- Lead project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner and contractor, sub-contractors, and vendors.
- Participate in client project requirement meetings and value analysis and cost estimating.
- Involved in the permitting process of projects, which may require meetings with clients, contractors, reviewing agency personnel and governing entities.
- Manage and lead other team members while working on projects; complete tasks and delegate specific project tasks to other team members as appropriate.
- Assist senior engineers/designers with developing and managing the project scope, budget, staffing and schedule.
- May lead the preparation and coordination of the project specifications with construction documents.
- Prepare contract documents for construction (i.e. engineering drawings and specifications).
- Participate in constructability review.
- Conduct quality assurance and quality control on own projects.
- Assist in the development of new standards and specifications for the discipline.
- Prepare portions of engineering project proposals, change orders, client contact and communication pertaining to specific projects.
- Support the civil team in providing services during construction that can include submittal reviews, responses to requests for information and contract document clarifications.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Has well-developed understanding of general concepts of relevant areas of civil engineering design, including gravity and pressure systems, geotechnical, survey, storm water/drainage design, road design, erosion and sediment control, and grading.
- Possesses excellent time management skills; thorough understanding of task assignment and schedule, budgeting and efficient use of time and resources.
- Ability to effectively discuss project issues with clients and reviewing agencies.
- Thorough understanding of codes, legal and design requirements in relevant jurisdictions.
- Well developed understanding of all phases of project document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications.
- Strong knowledge of civil systems, means and methods, materials, and industry standards.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, as well as relevant discipline software programs, which may include AutoCAD Civil3D, PCSWMM, StormCAD, WaterCAD, (or other modeling software).
- Ability to solve complex problems using sound professional judgment, creativity, and innovation.
- Ability to check the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Possesses team leadership skills; excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong presentation and interview skills are preferred.
Licensed Professional Engineer.
Minimum of 5-6 years of experience.
Typical office environment working with computers and working at a desk for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top