The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future-join us!
The role of the Civil Engineer is to work independently and as a team member on projects of various size and complexity. The engineer should be able to evaluate, select, specify, and engineer systems or products for a project. As a Civil Engineer, you will perform a variety of tasks which may include calculations and field work. The projects that a Civil Engineer may be assigned to may have complex features that will require the application of mature knowledge. This role also leads the analysis of proposed projects to ensure structural reliability, resource efficiency, and cost-effectiveness.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Responsible for large projects of high complexity.
- Evaluates, selects, specifies, and engineers all civil engineered systems or products for a project.
- Engages in the development of a design through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats.
- Utilizes technologies in development of three-dimensional models of civil systems and provides markups for junior engineers/designers.
- Prepares and revises documentation in various civil phases including site plans, floor plans, diagrams, and details.
- Leads project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner and contractor, sub-contractors, and vendors.
- Leads in client project requirement meetings, value analysis, and basic cost estimating.
- Develops and manages the project scope, budget, staffing, and schedule.
- Leads the preparation and coordination of the project specifications with construction documents.
- Participates in constructability review.
- Conducts quality assurance and quality control on own projects and projects of peers.
- Assists in the development of new standards and specifications for the civil group.
- Develops project scope, budgets, and design approach for all size projects.
- Assists with the development of proposal for smaller, less complex projects.
- Oversees and manages multiple projects
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Requisite knowledge, interpretation, and application of National Civil Code and applicable energy codes.
- Strong understanding of all phases of project document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications.
- Strong knowledge of civil systems, means and methods, materials, and industry standards.
- Ability to lead one or more teams through all phases of project document production.
- Checks the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manages time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Participates and collaborates in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Advanced understanding of civil engineering concepts and ability to communicate ideas to others.
- Strong presentation and interview skills.
- Effective communicator and able to work on and lead teams.
- Efficient project management of multiple concurrent projects.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and relevant design software, which may include AutoCAD Civil3D, GIS, HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS, StormCAD, WaterCAD, and PondPack.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Engineering.
Licensed Professional Engineer. Minimum of 7-8 years of experience.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Manager
Req ID: 190002BW
Back to top