Civil Design Lead
At Stantec, we approach every water and natural resource project we undertake-whether at the local, regional, or watershed level- thoughtfully, and execute it with excellence across all project phases. We partner with our clients to design fit-for-purpose solutions that address their communities' unique needs throughout the water infrastructure lifecycle. Our experts lead their fields and guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. We're a place where you can apply your passion and collaborate with top talent on work that's critical to our clients, our communities, and the industry at large.
The role of the senior civil engineer is to work independently on small and large projects, as well as a team member for more complex and larger projects. The senior engineer should be able to evaluate, select, specify, and engineer systems or products for a project. You will perform a variety of tasks which may include calculations, field work, coordination of tasks and personnel, and mentoring junior staff. The projects assigned may have complex features that will require the application of mature knowledge and experience. You will lead the analysis of proposed projects to ensure structural reliability, resource efficiency and cost-effectiveness.
Your Key Responsibilities
Technical Support for Project Execution & Delivery
- The candidate will provide technical support to Regional Delivery Leaders and engage as needed in executing and delivering projects within the region and across North America.
- The scope of work will vary by project, but will generally be for water and wastewater projects with a focus on conveyance, pumping, storage, site civil, mechanical systems, and the execution of best practices and standards for design.
Mentoring of Professional Staff
- The candidate will engage in active mentorship of peers and young professionals who desire guidance on career development objectives.
- This mentoring can take any number of forms, including guidance on preparation and delivery of presentations, papers, workshops, etc., client-facing protocols, supervision, and continuing education and training.
Technical Support for Regional Business Development Activities
- This technical support includes, but may not be limited to: face-to-face client interactions, site visits, workshop presentations, planning, regulatory frameworks, etc.
- This role also provides technical support to Client Service Managers within the region for specific Business Development activities associated with proposal development and interview preparation and delivery, with the primary intent of winning specific project work.
- This support can take the form of writing technical approaches for proposals, developing slide decks for the technical aspects of competitive interviews and developing work-breakdown structures for project delivery schemes.
- The candidate will engage in active membership in state, regional and national professional associations such as the American Water Works Association, Water Environment Federation, American Public Works Association, or others (including local affiliates) as may be appropriate.
- This engagement entails the delivery of papers, presentations, workshops and webinars at conferences and symposia, participation in technical training workshops and seminars, and involvement in committee leadership as appropriate.
- Assess and recommend project staffing for appropriate skills sets to achieve project objectives.
- Interact with clients, local and remote Stantec staff, permitting agencies and other consulting firms in the execution of engineering projects.
- Gather information, develop and evaluate alternatives, and prepare engineering reports.
- Perform engineering analyses, modeling, and calculations and prepare detailed design drawings and specifications.
- Perform more complex engineering design tasks on assigned projects under supervision of Project Technical Lead or Project Manager, including engineering drawings, engineering reports and required applications to regulatory agencies.
- Conduct alternatives analyses (i.e., route/alignments, pipe size and materials, etc.) to support business case evaluations for making project decisions.
- Implement understanding of conveyance system construction elements as it relates to design, to select construction methods and defining work area limits.
- Recognize when technical problems are developing and initiates appropriate corrective actions.
- Serve as Engineer-of-Record.
- Perform hydraulic system calculations, transient analyses, pipe design calculations, engineering reports, and design criteria.
- Manage and lead other team members while working on projects; completes tasks and delegates specific project tasks to other team members as appropriate.
- Prepare contract documents for construction (i.e. engineering drawings and specifications).
- Understand and implement industry standards and manuals (i.e. ASTM, AWWA, ACPA, etc.) as well as client and regulatory agency standards and requirements.
- Involved in the permitting process of projects, which may require meetings with clients, contractors, reviewing agency personnel and governing entities.
- Prepare portions of engineering project proposals, change orders, client contact and communication pertaining to specific projects.
- Perform other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Demonstrated experience on three or more of the following:
- Technical leadership on water and wastewater projects
- Water system master planning
- Wastewater collection system planning
- Groundwater resources and municipal production wells
- Water conveyance design
- Wastewater conveyance design
- Water storage design
- Site civil design
- Pump station design
- Has well-developed understanding of general concepts of relevant areas of conveyance design, including gravity and pressure systems hydraulics, geotechnical, civil design.
- Ability to effectively discuss project issues with clients and reviewing agencies.
- Strong interpersonal abilities for working in diverse team environments with staff, clients, and stakeholders.
- Possesses excellent time management skills; thorough understanding of task assignment and schedule, budgeting and efficient use of time and resources.
- Possesses team leadership skills; excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Thorough understanding of codes, legal and design requirements in relevant jurisdictions.
- Ability to solve complex problems using sound professional judgment, creativity, and innovation.
- Proficient in relevant design software, which may include AutoCAD Civil3D, Bentley MicroStation, HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS, StormCAD, WaterCAD, InfoWater, or other conveyance system hydraulic modeling software highly preferred.
- Advanced proficiency with Office software including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Demonstratable commitment to safety
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Engineering.
- MS in related fields preferred.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience.
- Valid Nevada Professional Engineering license, or ability to obtain one within 1 year of employment, is required.
- Ability to obtain licensure in other Southwest Region states within 1 year of employment, as directed.
Typical office environment working with computers and working at a desk for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Nevada-Reno
Job Level: Manager
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: 190002B7
Back to top