Business Center Discipline Leader
We're active members of the communities we serve. That's why at Stantec, we always design with community in mind.
The Stantec community unites approximately 22,000 employees working in over 400 locations across six continents. Our work-engineering, architecture, interior design, landscape architecture, surveying, environmental sciences, project management, and project economics, from initial project concept and planning through design, construction, and commissioning-begins at the intersection of community, creativity, and client relationships. With a long-term commitment to the people and places we serve, Stantec has a unique ability to connect with our projects on a personal level and advance the quality of life in communities across the globe. Stantec trades on the TSX and the NYSE under the symbol STN. Visit us at stantec.com or find us on social media.
We are actively seeking a new Business Center Discipline Lead (BCDL) in our Waterpower & Dams Great Lakes Business Center. The position will be based in our Chicago, Illinois office. Stantec's Waterpower & Dams team pursues and executes some of the largest and most complex hydropower and dams projects throughout the world. The successful candidate will be someone with exceptional technical skills, leadership, strong communication and business acumen who will help set the vision for how we develop our technical talent and execute our work within the Eastern U.S.
The BCDL guides our technical group leads and staff, and leads development of discipline-specific professional and technical standards, quality assurance practices, design excellence, health and safety, best practices, research and development, and innovation. The BCDL works with BC leadership to attract and retain the qualified professionals that exhibit demonstrated design and technical excellence to the business center (BC). Reporting to the business center managing leader (BCML), the BCDL partners with the discipline leader (DL) and the business center sector leaders (BCSL's) to market discipline-specific design and technical expertise to our clients.
Responsibilities of the role include:
1. Overseeing and enhancing the quality of our projects, documentation and processes in Waterpower & Dams, across all of BC 2241.
2. Attracting and retaining qualified professionals to contribute to our Waterpower & Dams practice.
3. Maintaining, executing, and updating the BC's staffing and succession plan.
4. Contributing to the goals of consistent practices and collaboration, and design excellence across the entire firm.
5. Interacting with counterparts in Waterpower & Dams and other Business Lines.
6. Leading the BC's Discipline Group Leads, who report directly to the BCDL, to review and manage workload, staffing, recruiting, career development, and technical development.
7. Promoting and enhance the professional standards and best practices within the BC that have been established by the Discipline Lead, or collectively by the BCDL's.
8. Promote adherence to Stantec's PM Framework, maintaining and auditing ISO compliance, as necessary.
9. Through active participation in the Waterpower & Dams and BC's staffing process, provide PMs with appropriate staff for projects, either from within the BC or from other BC's.
10. Together with the BCSL and BCML, implement the methodologies within the BC for the creation and review of work plans, independent reviews, design reviews and technical reviews on all projects, using existing Stantec frameworks or those that have been established by the Discipline Lead, or collectively by the BCDL's.
11. Take timely corrective action on any projects that encounter technical challenges in order to avoid claims and take responsibility for mitigating any claims in the BC.
12. Collaborate with Stantec's HSSE team for the development of discipline-specific hazard assessments, safe work practices, planned job observations, safety training, and incident investigations within the discipline pertaining to the work of the BC staff.
13. Be an engaged leader, actively coach and support the career development of staff and take personal responsibility for employee retention and recruitment.
1. Conduct BC audits against PM Framework and discipline standards
2. Conduct client surveys
3. Conduct and/or lead independent reviews of deliverables developed by BC staff
4. Assist the BCML with Stantec's Career Development and Performance Review (CDPR) process, rate review, and bonus processes.
5. Review Employee Survey feedback.
• B.Sc. with at least 10 years professional experience.
• Professional Engineering licensure.
• Strong and demonstrated understanding of the technical skill sets and disciplines required for successful execution of hydropower and dams projects.
• Experience leading technical staff and groups.
• Leadership, communication and team building skills are essential for the success of this position.
• Strengths, experience and drive to effectively lead, challenge, and inspire the leadership group and staff to work together cohesively as a team.
• Demonstrated ability to champion both technical and customer service excellence with conviction and purpose.
• Successful experience with responding to Requests for Proposals, Expressions of Interest, and Statements of Qualifications.
At MWH, now part of Stantec, we believe growing a great engineering, consulting and construction services company happens from the inside out. We look for people who are drawn to use every talent they possess, plus imagination, determination and a drive to do the extraordinary. We believe that building a great career is as important as Building a Better World.
If working on the best water and natural resources projects around the world, building on your talents through a premier knowledge-sharing culture, and connecting across borders with some of the world's top talent appeals to you, join us.
MWH Global…we're looking for opportunities.
MWH, now part of Stantec, is an EEO employer - MWH considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, creed, color, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship or other basis in accordance with federal, state or local laws or regulations.
Staffing and Recruitment Agencies
Stantec appreciates the interest from the staffing industry, however, unsolicited resumes submitted to Stantec or any Stantec employee without a current and valid staffing agency contract in place with Stantec will not be eligible for any search fees. At this time, Stantec is not welcoming any additional inquiries for agency partnerships. To be added to the list for future RFP opportunities please email [email protected]
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Charuti oversees the construction and design of transmission line projects that connect new and existing hydropower plants and plans the logistics for rehabilitation of existing projects.
Back to top