Building Energy Modelling Team Lead
Stantec's Sustainability + Building Performance (S+BP) team is a globally integrated community of practice of collaborative design and consulting professionals. We provide professional consulting in support of innovative, high-performance projects, including building performance simulation, integrated design and green building facilitation, and design guidance for new buildings and retrofit projects.
We work with a diverse group of clients and project types in health care, education, institutional, airport, commercial, and community development sectors in support of projects seeking high performance outcomes and/or certification. These include net-zero energy, carbon neutral, Passive House, LEED, WELL and Living Building Challenge projects.
Description: Primary Tasks:
- Establish and grow a team of building performance engineers dedicated to supporting Stantec's global Buildings practice, with a focus on design assistance energy modeling (e.g., eQUEST, Energyplus, Open studio) for high performance and zero energy / zero carbon building outcomes
- Carry out building energy modeling to analyze and optimize building energy systems & design (Lighting, HVAC, Envelope, Passive systems etc.), in support of high-performance building design and green building rating system compliance, using software tools (e.g., IES VE, eQUEST, Energyplus, Open studio), spreadsheets and manual calculations.
- Provide training, oversight and mentorship for a team of 5-10 energy modelers. Set quarterly targets and help the team achieve them.
- Analyze projects for LEED/ Green building rating system compliance for credits related to HVAC design.
- Participate in interviewing, hiring and onboarding of new recruits within the team.
- Prepare logical, clear and comprehensive energy reports, spreadsheets and power points.
- Gather inputs from the design team through emails, correspondence, meetings etc. and communicate and explain analysis results/design recommendations to project manager.
- Attend (virtual) project meetings and do regular project follow up.
- Develop and manage budgets and schedules for project work. Provide regular updates to project manager.
Building Energy Modelling Team Lead
- B.E. or M.E./ M. Tech in Engineering (preferably mechanical)
- 10+ years' experience in building energy modeling using Energy Plus (Open Studio), TRNSYS, IES VE & Sefaira, or other similar software
- Experience with Radiance, Diva for Rhino, Grasshopper/Ladybug/Honeybee, THERM
- 5+ years' experience in leading a team
- Knowledge and expertise in HVAC and renewable energy systems, calculations, and life cycle cost analysis are highly desired
- Experience working in a remote team and reporting to outside manager
- Excellent analytical abilities
- Good organizational skills with ability to independently manage multiple tasks while maintaining focus and attention to detail.
- Basic AutoCAD skills.
- Writing and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft software, particularly Excel.
- CFD knowledge is a plus.
- LEED or IGBC AP / GRIHA preferred.
We're active members of the communities we serve. That's why at Stantec we always design with community in mind. We believe growing a great design company happens from the inside out. We look for people who are drawn to use every talent they possess, plus creativity, determination and a drive to do the extraordinary.
The Stantec community unites approximately 22,000 employees working in over 400 locations across six continents. We collaborate across disciplines and industries to bring projects to life. Our work as architects, engineers, and consultants from initial project concept and planning through design, construction and commissioning is built on a solid history of success. So, when we take on a project, we see the opportunity to make a lasting connection with the people and places where we live and work. Redefine your personal best. Join us!
Back to top