Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Your Opportunity Stantec is seeking a Junior Biologist to join our Impact Assessment, Permitting, and Compliance Practice in Northern California. The position is to be based out of our Walnut Creek or Sacramento Office. Stantec offers flexible work locations, flexible work hours and a robust compensation and benefit package.
As a Biologist, you will work in a highly dynamic team environment with other biologists/ecologists/water resource specialists, and land planning and regulatory experts. This position will include opportunities for both field and office work; it may also involve field work during construction of projects and implementation of ecosystem restoration projects.
In this position, you will contribute to multi-disciplinary project teams in all phases of the execution and delivery of siting and licensing of energy production, including renewable energy, and electric and gas transmission projects, as well as natural resource planning and management projects. As a biologist/ecologist, you will provide support in field biology, CEQA/NEPA analysis, and permitting. Specific background should consist of botanical, wetland, wildlife, or aquatic biology/ecology and/or familiarity and experience with regulatory permitting.
This position requires strong skills as a self-starter, with strong communication skills (written and verbal) and organizational skills. This role may also include support to project management teams on dynamic critical infrastructure projects.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Demonstrate success with research, analysis and reporting.
- Are self-starting, team-oriented professionals with excellent written and communication skills.
- Are familiar with review and analysis of scientific data, maps and drawings.
- Provide support in delivering high quality work products to Stantec's multi-disciplinary project teams.
- Ability to identify opportunities and build relationships with clients
- Assisting with water quality, fish, wildlife, and vegetation assessments
- Conducting groundwater sampling and surface water sampling
- Conducting groundwater recovery response tests
- Environmental monitoring of construction work activities
- Implementing and reviewing erosion and sediment control measures
- Recording data and observations in an accurate and well-organized manner
- Preparing technical reports detailing environmental assessments and monitoring activities
- Conducting fish salvage and isolation during instream works
- May assist in providing input to proposals or pursuits of various sizes and complexity.
- Performs independent studies to form conclusions that are reviewed by senior professionals.
- Manages small tasks and aspects of a project and may also manage small projects which are simple and routine.
- Completing office tasks such as data management, analysis and interpretation; report preparation, preparation of environmental approval applications and other general tasks
- Completing Health and Safety and QA/QC protocols
- Interacting and communicating effectively with multi-disciplinary teams, regulators, and clients
- Works on developing skills such as client service and building productive working relationships.
- Participating in team and independent based work
- Travel may be required
- Environmental consulting experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience contributing to biological technical reports, environmental impact evaluation, siting reports, and environmental permit applications, including field surveys and reporting, resource and impact evaluations, preparation of NEPA/CEQA analysis and documentation, and Section 7 ESA Consultation.
- Possess California-specific biology experience.
- Dedication to successful project execution and technical excellence.
- Proven critical judgment.
- Working understanding of policies and procedures for HSSE, including client-specific training (as required), and demonstrates use and understanding of these policies and procedures as appropriate to their work.
- Builds and maintains productive professional and personal networking relationships within their technical team, Business Center, and region.
- Demonstrates ability to build relationships with key clients with respect to their technical area and the broader business objectives of the business center.
- The successful candidate will have a diverse skill set in multiple environmental disciplines and a passion for lifelong learning.
- Be a self-starter and team-oriented.
- Good driving record and valid driver's license required.
- Proficient in MS Office applications
- Experience with California Tiger Salamanders, California Red-legged Frogs, Giant Garter Snake, San Francisco Garter Snake, Alameda Whipsnake are a plus.
- Experience with the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.
- Knowledge in GIS software is an asset
- Experience with driving boats, trailers and ATV is an asset
Minimum 2-3 years' work experience; or an equivalent combination of education (e.g. advanced degree) and experience.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top