Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Your Opportunity Stantec is seeking a Junior Biologist to join our Environmental Services Practice in Northern California. The position is to be based out of our Redding, Chico, Sacramento, or Walnut Creek Office. Stantec offers flexible work locations, flexible work hours, and a robust compensation and benefit package. Stantec's Environmental Services Practice specializes in project planning, environmental analysis and assessment, natural resources management, environmental restoration and design, and regulatory compliance.
As a Biologist, you will work in a highly dynamic team environment with other natural resource specialists. This is a career-track position with opportunities for substantial advancement. Successful candidates will be responsible for completing field investigations requiring basic understanding of a wide range of biological resources, including botany and plant communities, wildlife biology, and wetland biology. Initial responsibilities will include botanical surveys, wildlife habitat assessments, wetland delineations, background research and database queries, construction monitoring, preliminary technical reports. In time, the position will grow to include preparation of advanced technical reports, environmental permitting packages, and CEQA/NEPA analysis.
Specific background experience should consist of botanical, wetland, wildlife, and/or familiarity and experience with regulatory permitting. This position requires strong skills as a self-starter, with strong communication skills (written and verbal) and organizational skills. This role may also include support to project management teams on dynamic critical infrastructure projects.
Demonstrate success with research, analysis and reporting.
Are self-starting, team-oriented professionals with excellent written and communication skills.
Are familiar with review and analysis of scientific data, maps and drawings.
Provide support in delivering high quality work products to Stantec's multi-disciplinary project teams.
Ability to identify opportunities and build relationships with clients.
Basic Qualifications: Education: BS degree in Biology, Environmental Science, Ecology or a related field.
Years of Experience: 1 to 5 years
- Experience conducting botanical surveys.
- Excellent written, verbal communication, and analytical skills.
- Experience with the use of maps and aerial photographs, orienteering skills, and the ability to follow data collection protocols.
- Ability to work outdoors for extended periods.
- Northern California biology experience is preferred.
- Ability to work independently as well as on teams of biologists.
- Be a self-starter and team-oriented.
Additional Qualifications: Education: Master's degree in Biology, Environmental Science, Ecology or a related field
- Experience serving on and leading teams of field scientists for biological surveys in California.
- Experience performing wetland delineations and preparing mitigation plans.
- Established relationships with local, state, and federal permitting agencies.
- CEQA experience.
- NEPA experience.
- Experience providing environmental compliance monitoring for construction projects.
- General understanding of geographic information systems.
- Ability to work independently, as well as in teams ranging from 2 to 60 staff.
- Ability to direct staff technicians regarding data collection, preparation of figures and maps, and report production.
- Possession of a state [Scientific Collecting/MOU] or federal permit [10(a)1(A)] for listed species a plus.
Redding, Chico, Sacramento, or Walnut Creek, California.
Occasional overnight travel would be required.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top