Associate - Interior Design
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future-join us!
The primary role of the Senior Interior Designer is to interpret and translate the needs and desires of a client as well as any architectural direction set forth into cohesive interior design solution. This process may involve production of drawings (2D/3D), and written material to support the conceptual direction of interior design and FFE. This individual will often be required to present their ideas in formal and informal settings with a willingness and desire to hear and respond to constructive feedback. An individual at this level in their career is expected to perform their role within the standard of care acceptable to their peers in the industry. A Senior Interior Designer is expected to work collaboratively with the architectural team, conceptualizing, developing and documenting varying aspects of interior design of a project, including but not limited to space planning, interior architecture, interior materials and palette, specifications and FFE.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Responsible for large and/or complex projects/clients.
- Advocates and inspires creativity, critical thought, and design excellence both internally and externally.
- Collaborates with firm-wide leaders to ensure the outcomes of research efforts are leveraged in the areas of: Education, Application, Visibility/Recognition and Recruiting.
- Supports Business Development activities, including marketing proposals, interview, conference attendance, etc.
- Assists in identification, recruiting, and interviewing of design staff at all levels.
- Fosters collaboration between offices while promoting and providing design vision.
- Acts as a mentor, teacher, and coach to design staff with goal of growing and guiding them through their careers.
- Evaluates the quality of design and design activities, and assures a high level of design quality throughout the firm.
- Develops and implements firm's brand, image, marketing collateral and business collateral.
- Participates in performance reviews including setting of job goals.
- Oversees and participates in the production of design competitions or award submissions.
- Engages staff in dialog on design, ensures design process is followed and influences usage of technological tools.
- Acts as a vehicle for the delivery of firm's message on design.
- Expresses philosophy of the work with appropriate vocabulary.
- Identifies and directs project photography, written descriptions, and other media in support of building the firm's portfolio.
- Ambassador and steward of the firm's portfolio of work with ability to guide and educate others.
- Engages with a professional organization outside the firm (i.e. committee chair) that contributes to visibility of the firm.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Ability to engage in creative and critical thought.
- To produce design at a level that would be perceived externally as excellent.
- To hand sketch and communicate concepts and ideas to others effectively.
- To participate in a project team setting.
- To lead several teams on large complex projects through the development of design concept.
- To receive criticism and respond appropriately and professionally.
- To inspire confidence and garner trust and respect with the project team and with clients.
- To provide a balanced approach and good judgement.
- To check work of others for accuracy and completeness, and manage team to meet project budget and schedule.
- Scale process, design, and effort to various roles on the project, the needs of the project, and other conditions.
- To interpret sketches, drawings, codes, building program and other similar material.
- Strong presentation and interview skills.
- To present abstract ideas to the client and client representatives.
- Exhibits maturity and cultural awareness internally and externally.
- Significant knowledge of building construction systems, constructability, materials, and industry associated standards.
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, Revit, AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite, SketchUP, Newforma, most recent modeling software.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Interior Design or related field & Licensed Interior Designer. Minimum of 10 years of experience. LEED Green Associate or LEED AP preferred.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Interior Designer
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Boston
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Manager
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 1900021H
Back to top