The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future-join us!
You will work on tasks with close guidance and direction from a Senior Designer or Architect. This is an entry level Architect Intern design role. You will be designing schematics specialized in space programming and site planning as well as developing elevations, sections, and architectural details for projects. You will be assisting with innovative and creative new prototypes, designed with sustainable products with green architecture sensibility as your goals.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Team member on a variety of projects in the healthcare, science and technology, and public sectors.
- Use creativity, critical thought and design excellence both internally and externally.
- Conceptualize a building design from both a functional and aesthetic perspective in concert with a client's requirements, budget and program.
- Develops a design through sketches, physical models, electronic models, diagrams, massing studies, and other visual formats to express the design intent and communicate to project team, client, and building user groups.
- Utilizes BIM technologies in development of three dimensional models of buildings and their components.
- Participates in design critiques and pin-ups.
- Presents the design to stakeholders during early project phases. Develops building design in accordance with cost parameters.
- Develops space planning, block planning, and adjacency diagrams in coordination with building program.
- Evaluates and selects building systems and materials.
- Coordinates building systems to ensure compatibility with the design intent.
- Participates in development of the program and other pre-design efforts.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Basic understanding of Revit or AutoCad and the use of it as a design tool.
- Preparation of drawings in Revit and AutoCAD software.
- Perform site surveys to document building conditions. Review shop drawings and submittals for building systems.
- Strong computer skills are required
- Must be able to coordinate construction document production with all team members across disciplines.
- Must have well rounded understanding of all components of a building including Structural, Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing Systems as well as materials and constructability.
- Must be a good listener, a good communicator and develop strong working relationships with clients and staff
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and assignments
- To interpret sketches, drawings, codes, building program and other similar material.
- To apply accessibility codes, applicable building codes, and life-safety codes to a wide variety of project scopes and complexity.
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, Revit, AutoCAD; Prefer experience with Abobe Creative Suite, SketchUP, Newforma, Sefaira, Recent modeling software, 3D Printer, Laser cutter.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree in Architecture or related field. Minimum of 0-2 years of experience. Internship experience preferred.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Intern Architect
Primary Location: United States-New York-Albany
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Entry Level
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Req ID: 1800027Q
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Jon H.Operations Director
Jon is responsible for growing Stantec in the northwest region of the United Kingdom and leading and guiding the team in this area.
Back to top