- Vancouver, Canada
What if our built environments - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - served the functions of our lives in an elegant way, and what if they also enabled and inspired the aspirations we have for our individual and for our collective future? What if our built landscape did not appear static, permanent and fastened to a forgotten time and place.
In our Buildings practice studios, we focus on a future where the buildings we design and build have resulted from a study of people's experience of space, and it's contribution to the quality of their lives, their learning, their healing and their sense of community. We work to deliver places that are meaningful for individuals at the scale of home and of neighbourhood, places that are responsive to the spatial and experiential needs which result from the arc of their entire lives. In this way, we work together to continuously refine what it means, to be sociologically and ecologically sustainable with every project we deliver.
We invite you to work with a team that believes in creating educational spaces that brings people and ideas together, such that they are equipped to contribute thoughtfully and fearlessly to our connected human global ecology.
As a member of our education studio, you will collaborate with our team on projects ranging from feasibility studies, to concept development through to completion of construction. With active participation and mentoring of senior leadership, you will contribute to project work as well as research towards continuous improvement in thought leadership, and business development. Your creativity, initiative, and positive outlook will add to the momentum of growing our educational portfolio.
Our team works collaboratively and inspires creativity and design excellent from each other.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Active creative and practical involvement in thought leadership and business development
- Proposal strategizing and writing in collaboration with our marketing team and other experts in our education studio
- Capital Planning writing and development for educational clients including Project Definition Reports and Long Range Facility Plans
- Business Case writing and development for educational clients
- Conceptualizes building design from both a functional and aesthetic perspective with client's requirements, budget and program
- Develops a designs through sketches, physical models, electronic models, diagrams, massing studies, and other visual formats to express the design intent and communicate to project team, client, and building user groups
- Utilizes BIM technologies in development of three-dimensional models of buildings and their components - a plus
- Participates in design critiques and pin-ups
- Presentations to stakeholders during early project phases
- Develops space planning, block planning, and adjacency diagrams in coordination with building program
- Evaluates and selects building systems and materials
- Coordinates building systems to ensure compatibility with the design intent
- Implements sustainable design principles into the design and environment
- Ensures that design intent is maintained through documentation and construction administration
- Work on a variety of K-12 and Higher Education projects from design thru construction administration and mentor others who are emerging leaders in that practice
- Collaborate with team members within the project team and leverage Stantec skills in K-12 and Higher Education strategically
- Signing and sealing documents for projects that you lead
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Excellent verbal and written communications
- Familiarity with the BC Ministry of Education capital project funding process
- Familiarity with the BC Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills and Training project funding process
- Proven team collaborative and leadership skills, and a client development track record
- Ability to engage in creative and critical thought through diagramming and writing
- Participates collaboratively in project team settings
- Proven experience writing proposals
- Experience working on Project Definition Report's and Business Cases on educational projects would be an asset
- To present abstract ideas to the client and client representatives
- To apply accessibility codes, applicable building codes, and life-safety codes to a wide variety of project scopes and complexity
- General knowledge of building construction systems, constructability, materials, and industry associated standards
- General understanding of the relationship between drawings and specifications
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, Revit, AutoCAD,Abobe Creative Suite, SketchUP, Newforma, Sefaira,
- The ability to work in an energetic and challenging work environment collaboratively
- A passion for educational design
Education and Experience
Masters or Bachelor's degree in Architecture or related field & nearly registered or Registered Architect preferred. Approximately 10 years of experience with a focus on K-12 and/or Higher Education projects desirable. Certified Passive House Designer, LEED Green Associate or LEED AP is an asset, but not required.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location: Canada-British Columbia-Vancouver
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Req ID: 200000QJ
Back to top