Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Your Opportunity Stantec is currently hiring up to three (3) Archaeology Technicians from the Virginia area for upcoming field projects.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Utilizing a variety of field methodologies, including archaeological survey, testing, excavation, surface collection, and monitoring.
- Recording and evaluating soils using color (Munsell), texture, and inclusions; Orienteering using a compass, USGS topographic maps, plan maps, GPS units, iPads, and aerial photography.
- Experience with GPS is an asset.
- Assist with setting up a site grid, datum, and excavations units; Mapping site plans and individual shovel tests, units, and features in plan and profile.
- Identifying historic and prehistoric artifacts following standard collection procedures.
- Identifying cultural features.
- Cleaning and preparing site surfaces for mapping and photography.
- Serving as laboratory assistant when work is available indoors.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Knowledge of Phase I, II, and III archaeological excavations/assessments.
- Ability and willingness to work under varied weather conditions.
- Ability to walk and conduct fieldwork for long hours through sometimes rugged terrain and ability to carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 40 pounds is required.
- Industry-specific safety training certificates is an asset.
- Valid driver's license required and good driving record.
- Prior to employment with Stantec this position will require the successful completion of a background check, along with drug and alcohol screening.
- Extensive travel required.
Archaeological field experience in Virginia or Mid-Atlantic
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top