Aquatic Ecologist- Falmer or Reading
Stantec have an exciting opportunity for a Aquatic Ecologist// hydro-ecologist to join our team in Falmer or Reading on a permanent basis.
Stantec is seeking a senior aquatic ecologist / hydro-ecologist to play a central role in expanding our workload and reputation in delivering environmental and regulatory services for a range of public and private sector infrastructure development projects. Our current workload includes the production of environmental reports and ongoing environmental advice for a variety of infrastructure projects in the energy and water sectors.
As a senior member of the team your role will involve providing high level technical advice and input into aquatic ecology investigations including undertaking, producing and technically reviewing environmental assessments of various activities on aquatic ecology features. You will work effectively with water companies, developers, design engineers, contractors, planners and other regulators to help achieve positive outcomes for projects.
You will have a comprehensive understanding and recognition of aquatic ecology features, including macroinvertebrates, fish, macrophytes and invasive aquatic species, with focus on the freshwater environment however knowledge of marine environments would be an advantage. Experience of taking the lead technically on complex aquatic ecology assessments such as those used in flow and pollution investigations, Water Framework Directive assessments; appropriate assessments for HRA and significant infrastructure EcIAs, would be of advantage. Understanding of habitat/ecosystem physical environment pressures in the freshwater environment (e.g. drought, pollution) and aquatic species' requirements is also preferred.
As a member of our multidisciplinary and collaborative teams, you will be expected to provide high quality work within agreed timescales, budget and quality frameworks and ensure technical and quality aspects are well managed, to deliver innovative solutions whilst ensuring client satisfaction. You will engage in direct contact with clients as well as building and maintaining effective relationships within and outside the company. You must therefore have client facing experience as well as commercial awareness and understanding. You will have a broad understanding of ecology and will be able to support the terrestrial ecology team when required adding to our flexibility and maintaining consistent utilisation.
You will be an important member of our expanding environment team based in one of our southern offices with flexibility to work remotely throughout the country in response to opportunities
Aquatic Ecologist- Falmer or Reading
To be successful in this role, you will need to:
- Hold a degree in a relevant subject, such as Ecology, Biology or Zoology and preferably hold a postgraduate degree;
- Be chartered with a relevant institution such as RSB, CIEEM, IFM or IEMA.
- You will have experience of specifying, planning, risk-assessing and conducting safe field surveys in the freshwater environment;
- Be a highly motivated professional with a desire to grow and promote aquatic ecology/hydro-ecology within a consultancy team and is able to build and maintain effective relationships with colleagues and clients;
- Be experienced working in a multidisciplinary team, liaising with clients, statutory authorities and other stakeholders;
- Be capable of organising and developing your work with minimal supervision;
- Be commercially aware and able to prepare detailed cost estimates for professional fees for inclusion in tenders/bids and to estimate costs for aquatic ecology works;
- Be proficient in using software packages for report writing and presentation of graphic information, as well as the use of aquatic ecology analysis software such as RICT and DARLEQ2
- Mentoring of staff and supporting them to progress their professional status (chartered or otherwise);
- An understanding of the UK planning system and environmental planning matters would be desirable.
- CSCS card holder
- Protected species licence holder (crayfish, GCN etc)
- Knowledge and understanding of River Habitat Surveys and geomorphology assessments
- Possess a full current UK driving license; and
- Be committed to personal and continuing professional development.
At Stantec, we believe growing a great engineering, consulting and construction services company happens from the inside out. We look for people who are drawn to use every talent they possess, plus imagination, determination and a drive to do the extraordinary. We believe that building a great career is as important as Building a Better World .
If working on the best water and natural resources projects around the world, building on your talents through a premier knowledge-sharing culture, and connecting across borders with some of the world's top talent appeals to you, join us.
Stantec Global…we're looking for opportunities.
Location (Hold Ctrl key to select more than one Location):
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Charuti oversees the construction and design of transmission line projects that connect new and existing hydropower plants and plans the logistics for rehabilitation of existing projects.
Back to top