Senior Full-Stack Web Developer, Enterprise
Salary: $110,000 - $140,000
At Stack Overflow, our mission is to serve developers. Whether we’re helping developers get answers to their questions or find new jobs, we build products that make millions of developers’ lives better every day. Our goal is to create a community and a company where every developer feels welcome to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers.
Stack Overflow for Enterprise gives organizations a private, secure home for their team’s questions and answers, as well as a robust set of tools to manage their community. As a full-stack web developer on the Enterprise team, you’ll join a cross-disciplinary team of developers, designers, and product managers working on new and existing features and bugs.
Recent and upcoming projects include:
- Creating a Single Sign-On framework to make authentication as easy as possible for customers.
- Improving our search algorithms to help developers find the answers they need across both public and private Stack Overflow Q&A.
- Designing and implementing V2 of Enterprise instance monitoring to ensure that our customers are having an excellent and bug-free experience. The challenge is in reporting general metrics (like exception counts, questions asked and answered counts, etc.) without accessing or transmitting any private or secure customer data or PII.
You'll work primarily in our main tech stack of C#, ASP.NET, and Microsoft SQL Server, with supporting technologies like Redis, TypeScript, and Elasticsearch. The Enterprise team also makes use of Azure and other containerization technologies. If you’re not familiar with our specific tech stack, we'll pair you with mentors who will help you bridge the gaps. We do expect to see some existing enterprise-level experience in the successful candidate for this role.
We’re a remote-first team. Whether you work remotely or work out of our New York office, you’ll be part of a remote work culture that emphasizes online communication (Trello, Slack, GitHub, Hangouts, Zoom, Stack Overflow for Teams). While we’re generally very flexible on working hours, for this position you’ll need to have a wide coverage of our customers from Europe to West Coast US. As a result you’ll be expected to work roughly New York time zone hours.
This role also requires occasional flexibility in working hours. Many of our customers expect software deployments, upgrades, and hotfixes to be installed during off-business hours (such as early mornings or late evenings). In addition, some debugging with customers will occasionally be required, at the convenience of their working hours. These tasks are fairly infrequent (We tend to deploy 3 major releases per year, with a few hotfixes as-needed). We also believe in strong work-life balance and provide comp time during regular working hours for each extra hour worked. The successful candidate should be aware of these expectations and be comfortable with occasionally flexible working hours (and the ensuing flexible time off in lieu). Emergencies and “on call” events are very rare - you should not expect work to intrude on your weekends.
Skills and Requirements
We expect to see:
- Solid programming skills in your language of choice (not necessarily ours) and a track record of getting stuff done.
- 5+ years full-stack web dev experience with any major server-side stack, relational database, and modern front-end (JS, HTML, CSS). Experience in our stack is a plus, but not a requirement.
- Prior enterprise-level development and lifecycle experience. You’ve worked on a large enterprise-class product before.
- Self-motivating, self-directing and a great communicator.
We like to see (but not required):
- Experience working remotely and/or working with teams that are distributed geographically.
- Experience shipping features in a fast-moving, cross-disciplinary team (Product Managers, Designers, UX Researchers, Product Marketing, etc).
- An active Stack Overflow profile, open source code, example projects that you're proud of (whether open source or worked on at a previous job), or any other evidence of your passion for building great software.
- Knowledge of how Stack Overflow works from our blog and podcasts.
- Experience with Stack Overflow for Teams or Stack Overflow for Enterprise.
When you apply… Please include an up-to-date resume. We also strongly encourage you to include a cover letter explaining why you’re interested in working at Stack Overflow.
What you’ll get in return:
- Flexible hours
- 20 days paid vacation + holidays
- Completely free health insurance - no copay, no premiums (US residents)
- Generous parental leave (12-16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, and unlimited sick days
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
If you want to work remotely…. We’ll help you set up a great home office, with an ergonomic chair, standing desk, and any other equipment you need to do your job.
If you want to work in our office… You’ll get your own private office in our headquarters in New York City, and enjoy additional benefits like free lunch every day prepared by our own in-house chefs, transportation reimbursement, and all the espresso you can drink.
About Stack Overflow
Stack Overflow is the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. More than 50 million professional and aspiring programmers visit Stack Overflow each month to help solve coding problems, develop new skills, and find job opportunities.
We partner with businesses to help them understand, hire, engage, and enable the world's developers. Our products and services are focused on developer marketing, technical recruiting, market research, and enterprise knowledge sharing.
We believe in hiring smart people and getting out of their way. We have an office in New York with some of the best amenities of any New York startup, and we have people who work remotely all over the world. We keep meetings and ceremony to an absolute minimum.
What we value:
- Servant Leadership: We lead by empowering and inspiring people to do their best work, not by micromanaging. We hire smart people, set them up for success, then get out of their way.
- Collaboration: The best products are created when people from different backgrounds and disciplines work closely together in an environment of respect and trust.
- Transparency: Trust is built on openness and transparency. If there is not a good reason to keep it a secret, we share it. For example, we share our complete engineering salary formula.
- Inclusion: We do our best work when we can be our whole selves at work. We’re committed to policies and benefits that support people, and leaders who foster an open and inclusive culture.
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity. Employment is conditioned upon successful completion of a background check and upon having the appropriate legal right to work.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.
Back to top