Product Manager, Internal Systems
At Stack Overflow, we are obsessed with serving developers. Whether we’re helping developers get answers to their questions or find a new job, we build products that make millions of developers' lives better every day. Like many companies, in order to achieve our goals on our public facing sites, we have to keep other internal stakeholders happy and productive. To achieve this, we turn to our Internal Development team which services the Sales, Operations, Finance, and Marketing teams.
Examples of projects that Internal Systems is responsible for include:
- Maintaining and updating our internal fulfillment systems. (Everything happening on the back end when employers buy Job Listings, Candidate Search etc…)
- Working with Finance to make sure our internal systems are properly integrated with financial and accounting software (we currently use Intacct)
- Own the full suite of custom sales tools that we have built. These tools focus on workflow management, reporting, and help to drive the sales team’s strategic and tactical goals.
Basically, this team makes sure the business and the tools we use to run it are working smoothly. While most of your projects will be internal facing, some will be dependent on and will affect customer facing products. On these projects you’ll be working with other product managers to align goals and shipping timelines.
You’ll have the opportunity to do a lot as a product manager. You can expect during the first year:
- First Month: Get up to speed on our current plans and projects. You’ll spend a lot of time learning about our products, building rapport with the Sales, - Finance, Marketing, and Product teams, and building small features.
- Next 3 Months: Start taking on projects of your own from our backlog. You’ll take an idea and work with the developers to turn it into a prototype, talk to the business stakeholders, and pitch your projects to the stakeholders.
- Next 6 months: You can expect to start taking a leadership role within the company, especially within the product and internal development teams. You’ll be involved not just in product development, but in defining long term strategy, improving our processes, and planning the roadmap for the team.
What you’ll do:
- Propose new products and features and pitch them to the business stakeholders
- Start with high-level goals, turn them into detailed functional specs, and work with developers to create the system/tool/feature that the company needs. We want to be as agile as possible during our development process, so experience with agile development is a huge plus.
- Define and monitor metrics to determine the effectiveness of features, and administer usability tests to make sure we’re building the right things
- Interact with Sales, Finance, Operations, and Marketing to gather ideas and feedback
- Support go-to-market strategies with marketing and the sales team
- Manage complex cross-functional projects. That means you need to be hands on with devs and stakeholders, keep up with the different projects the developers are working on, and are proactive about detecting and resolving issues.
- Need to be able to hold yourself and the devs accountable for deliverable schedule and quality.This includes everything from the spec to the project and testing plan, to the actual execution of that plan.
- Act as the primary point of contact for all users and stakeholders, so that you can better determine priorities and so the devs can focus on building software.
What we want to see:
- Experience coming up with ideas for, building, and working with the development team(s) to ship web software.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly through written word (whether that's forum posts, specs, blogging, or anything else)
- Strong spec-writing and UX
- Whether you have a technical background or not, you need to understand the technical implications of what you are asking of the development team.
- Excellent telecommuting skills. Even though you will be working from our New York office, most of our team members are remote
- Experience working with, building, updating, and/or architecting financial systems would be a huge plus.
- Experience with usability testing
- Experience working with and understanding the implications of being dependent on external APIs to build software
About the Company
Our goal is to make the Internet a better place to get expert answers to your questions and upgrade your career. We’ve done a lot of that with Stack Overflow, but we think there’s still more to do.
We believe in hiring smart people and getting out of their way. We have offices in New York City, Denver, and London with some of the best amenities of any startup, and we have people who work remotely all over the world. We keep meetings and ceremony to an absolute minimum, and will never poke you with a sharp stick.
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.
Back to top