Director of People Operations & Programs
At Stack Overflow, we believe that the best way to build a strong business starts with being a great place to work and where smart people are empowered to get things done. Our founder literally started his first company with no goal other than treating its employees better than the competition, so it could attract the best people. That culture and attitude still guide our priorities today.
We’re looking for an experienced Director of People with a servant leadership mindset to oversee our People Team. Reporting to the EVP of Culture and Experience, you’ll directly manage an amazing, diverse group of People Operations and Programs professionals, and work closely with our Talent Partners (combination recruiter/HR business partners) on their HRBP responsibilities. You’ll oversee the way we operationalize our culture at a larger scale as we continue to grow, and make sure that our People Ops & Programs team has the skills, direction, and growth opportunities they need to flourish. You’ll help us cultivate an inclusive culture that brings out the best in everyone.
This position and most of its direct reports are based in New York, but we have a remote-first work culture that emphasizes online communication (Trello, Slack, Hangouts). You’ll also have business partners all over the world, so solid comfort working remote is required, with remote experience a plus.
What we're looking for:
A servant leadership mindset: Your management style emphasizes the growth, well-being, and autonomy of your team members wherever possible, and minimizes the need for command-and-control approaches to problems
Significant People Operations (HR) management experience: You’re an experienced HR manager with at least
- 5 years in roles managing multiple reports
- 8 years of HR experience
- 3 years experience in startups or growth environments where you had to roll up your sleeves and build things from scratch
Deep, “full-stack” HR knowledge and experience: You should have experience in all aspects of total rewards, learning and development, diversity and inclusion, and organizational design thinking
Gets-Things-Done Background: You have solid analytical skills, and have implemented major new programs, vendors, and tools, and overseen large projects. You know how to optimize or redesign processes or team structures to be more effective. You have a nerdy love of process and operational excellence.
Experience partnering with senior leaders: You are comfortable working with senior managers and executives to solve problems and craft policies that can serve multiple senior stakeholders. You know how to work closely with internal and outside counsel on compliance, policies, programs, and personnel issues.
Passion for improving diversity and inclusion: You’re passionate about creating an inclusive and collaborative culture. You help build understanding and empathy within your team, and actively work to bring people into the conversation and understand their viewpoint. You recognize the value in building a highly diverse workforce and understand how to overcome the challenges in the landscape to make real progress hiring for diversity.
What you'll do:
- Coach and lead our People Operations and Programs professionals. (Currently a Team of three, with plans to double in the next year.)
- Improve our team processes, documentation practices, and workflows as we continue to scale.
- Shape overall People Ops strategy and priorities.
- Determine how we should best allocate our resources and oversee initiatives to build out things like proper L&D programs, new policies, and benefits.
- Advocate for your team and ensure they have everything they need to do their jobs.
What we value:
- Servant Leadership: The best managers lead by empowering and inspiring their team to do their best work.
- Collaboration: The best products are created when people from different backgrounds and disciplines work closely together in an environment of respect and trust.
- Transparency: Trust is built on openness and transparency. If there is not a good reason to keep it a secret, we share it. For example, we share our complete engineering salary formula.
- Inclusion: We do our best work when we can be our whole selves at work. We’re committed to policies and benefits that support people, and managers who foster an open and inclusive culture.
What you’ll get in return:
- Competitive salary
- A private office, free breakfast, and free lunch every day by our in-house chefs
- 20 days paid vacation
- Stock options
- Completely free health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- Generous parental leave (10-16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Transportation reimbursement
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.
Back to top