Squarespace is looking for passionate backend engineers to build and scale the services powering our interactive web and mobile applications.
We firmly believe that design is not merely "how it looks" but "how it works." A great product is reliable, performant, and scales with the growth of the customer base and the team. The platform engineering teams focus on building scalable platforms which other teams can leverage to build product features . If you are a server-side engineer who enjoys or is interested in building platforms that are scalable, reliable, and performant, we want to hear from you!
You will report to an Engineering Manager in our New York City headquarters.
All Squarespace employees are working remotely at this time. We are closely monitoring the status of COVID-19 as we continue our work to build a return-to-work plan that ensures a safe return to our offices and provides flexibility for our employees. While many of our engineers are based in NYC, we have teams that are able to accommodate fully remote work. Please select which state you hope to reside in via the dropdown with our approved locations below.
What do the Platform Engineering teams do?
The platform engineering teams design software platforms that are scalable, reliable, and performant - from building out microservices frameworks to content rendering. These platforms are utilized by product engineering teams to provide an amazing experience for our customers. As a member of the platform organization, you will work with engineers across the company to develop and enhance platforms that serve Squarespace customers.
We have multiple teams that are hiring, and throughout the interview process our goal will be to learn more about your technical skills, the kind of work that excites you, and where you want to take your career. Here are a few examples of teams that are hiring:
- Media Platform: Media Platform is responsible for powering billions of interactive media (image, video and audio etc) on Squarespace websites, from media ingestion, processing (such as resizing, automatic optimization and transcoding etc) through our media pipeline services, store media in cloud storage and serving them via our origin services and CDNs to millions of Squarespace customers and billions of visitors to their websites and other products.
- Core Platforms: The Core Platforms team is looking for engineers to help us develop our customer protection platforms (such as anti-abuse and data privacy systems) and our customer communication platforms (such as our email delivery ecosystem and mobile notifications). We are focused on developing solutions that empower Squarespace's product teams and help keep our customers safe.
As a Backend Platform Software Engineer, you will:
- Write testable, readable and maintainable server-side code that will be used by multiple engineering teams across the company
- Participate in platform level architecture discussions and decisions
- Work with senior engineers to design and implement platform systems
- Set coding standards and collaborate with other engineers and teams to ensure the successful adoption of best practices
- Collaborate with other engineers and teams to ensure the seamless rollout of platform features and optimizations
- Analyze and profile frameworks and endpoints to identify and fix latency and bottlenecks
- Improve the developer experience for other engineers that use the platform
- Refactor existing components and code paths into clearer, standardized, documented, and testable modules
You will succeed as a Platform Software Engineer if you:
- Are interested in working on platform scalability, reliability, and performance
- Have been programming production systems in Java or any other OOL for at least a year
- Understand different data structures and how they can be leveraged to optimize algorithms
- Are curious and ask a lot of questions to understand why things are the way they are
- Are passionate about code quality
- Are interested learning from and working with experienced engineers
- Have experience or an interest in optimizing inefficient APIs, code paths, or database queries
- Have experience building a web application and using SQL or NoSQL databases like MongoDB, MySQL, or PostgresSQL
If you're interested in this role, we encourage you to apply even if you don't meet all of the above qualifications.
What you can expect from us:
Your team and manager will:
- Provide an inclusive environment that's psychologically safe and encourages learning
- Mentor and guide you through navigating and understanding the codebase
- Work with you to build a personalized career growth plan with clear expectations and milestones
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered for you and your dependent children
- Flexible vacation& paid time off
- Up to 20 weeks of paid family leave
- Equity plan for all employees
- Retirement benefits with employer match
- Fertility and adoption benefits
- Free lunch and snacks at all offices
- Education reimbursement
- Dog-friendly workplace in New York office
- Commuter benefit in the form of reduced tax (Ireland) and pretax (US)
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design and sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people - from individuals and local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the world's most iconic businesses - to share their stories with the world. Squarespace's team of more than 1,200 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin, Los Angeles and Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about .
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives and experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace and celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.