Senior Software Engineer - Product Backend
Squarespace is seeking passionate, entrepreneurial backend engineers to build and scale the services powering our highly interactive web and mobile applications.
We firmly believe that design is not merely “how it looks” but “how it works.” With this in mind, our backend engineers work on Product Engineering teams, which are dedicated to creating the most seamless, integrated products possible. If you are a self-motivated server side engineer who enjoys taking ownership of product initiatives and carrying them from concept to production, we want to hear from you! This role will report to the Product Engineering Team Lead in our New York City headquarters.
- Write server-side code, create robust high-volume production applications, and develop prototypes quickly
- Design and build new features into the Squarespace platform, building backend services with Java
- Collaborate with other engineers and designers to deliver strong customer-focused experiences
- Ensure the reliability of systems critical to Squarespace users and businesses powered by Squarespace
- Practice disciplined software engineering (e.g. automated testing, code reviews, and writing beautiful, pragmatic code)
- Actively contribute to team and company standards
- Mentor junior team members
- Strong Object Oriented development skills and proficiency in Java or another Object Oriented language
- Extensive experience developing large-scale software
- A strong understanding of, and practical experience with, web application development
- A solid foundation in computer science, with competencies in data structures, algorithms, and software design practices
- A sincere commitment to crafting readable and reliable code
- Strong understanding of database schema design, caching and scalability
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or related or equivalent industry experience
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design and sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people — from individuals and local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the world’s most iconic businesses — to share their stories with the world. Squarespace’s team of more than 570 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin and Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Equity plan
- 401(k) plan with employer match
- Free lunch and snacks
- Dog-friendly workplace
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives and experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace and celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
Meet Some of Squarespace's Employees
As a brand manager, Farah focuses on marketing initiatives by working closely with the Design and Media Teams in order to produce top-quality advertising campaigns.
Back to top