VP of People & Places
- San Francisco, CA
At Springboard, we’re on a mission to bridge the world’s skills gap through transformative online education experiences. Our self-paced, online courses give anyone, anywhere access to a world-class education through a combination of a web-based platform, project-based learning model, and ongoing 1:1 mentorship and coaching for each student. Through this hybrid approach, we’ve helped thousands of learners revamp their careers and, by extension, their lives.
Springboard’s commitment to professional success and workforce development extends to our own team, and we’re now looking for an enthusiastic, talented, and business-savvy first VP of People & Places. Reporting to our CEO, this critical role will lead a global team and have a direct hand in driving our company’s next phase of growth, working with our biggest asset: our people. This is an exceptional opportunity to further define and optimize how we identify, recruit, develop and retain top talent while providing a world-class employee experience. The ideal candidate is an experienced and passionate leader who’s built and influenced high-performing cultures at global, distributed growth-stage startups.
- Build, enable, and inspire a team responsible for People (Recruiting, Talent Management, HR Operations), and Places
- Collaborate as a member of the leadership team to map people strategy to business strategy
- Provide direction and best practices for talent acquisition across every department and function, and across our two offices in San Francisco and Bengaluru
- Identify, create, and execute on key global talent initiatives and programs that align with Springboard’s culture and values to help leaders scale their organizations and develop high-performing and impactful teams — including the implementation of high-performance management systems, including OKRs and 360-degree reviews
- Own and refine our holistic rewards philosophy, including compensation, equity design, benefits and perks
- Introduce talent development strategy, programs, and offerings to foster the team’s continual learning and development
- Implement formal and informal feedback, surveying, and benchmarking systems to measure and improve team member satisfaction and engagement
- Bring a track record of 8+ years' increasing HR responsibility, ideally at one or more growth-stage startups (100-500 people); you can anticipate the challenges we’ll face as we grow, and are willing to flex between strategic and hands-on when needed
- Have a sharp understanding of how business strategy and people strategy align
- Have experience with various people domains that enable a high-performance, high-satisfaction culture, spanning many of talent acquisition and management, employee experience, learning & development, goal-setting and performance management, and organizational effectiveness
- Build trust by listening; are a “people whisperer”; can coach/guide leaders/managers through tough situations and hard conversations; are skilled at influencing without authority; bring strong executive presence, integrity, and and perspective from having been through economic cycles, company successes and failures
- Bring hands-on experience managing, developing, and inspiring proactive and effective People teams at high-growth, global companies
- Have worked across cultures (in a multi-office, global and/or remote setting)
- Are a systems thinker and first-principles problem-solver: when necessary, you can build or right-size systems (vs. simply following a playbook)
- Understand what creates a good culture (ideally from having been part of an org known for its great culture) and how a People function can shape and impact it
The Springboard team of 150 works out of offices in the heart of San Francisco and Bengaluru. We’re backed by top investors, including Costanoa Ventures, Reach Capital, Learn Capital, Pearson Ventures, and the founders of LinkedIn and Princeton Review.
Working with us, you’ll enjoy competitive compensation, full health insurance coverage, a 401k plan, a generous learning budget, team lunches and snacks, and an opportunity to impact thousands of lives alongside a fun, dedicated and mission-driven team. To learn more about our team and culture, follow us on Instagram @springboardlife!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We welcome applications from all backgrounds, and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top