Data Engineer - Lead Subject Matter Expert
- Flexible / Remote
At Springboard, we are on a mission to bridge the skills gap by delivering high-quality, affordable education for new economy skills. We’ve already launched hundreds of our students into Data Science careers through our top-rated Data Science course that pairs students with an industry mentor and offers them a Job Guarantee.
Now we’re expanding our Data Science course offerings, and we’re looking for an expert who has a strong background in Data Engineering to help us build a new Data Engineering course in the coming months. This is a unique opportunity to put your expertise into action to educate the next generation of Data Engineers and increase your domain mastery through teaching.
The course will be an online 6-to-9 month program designed to help students find a job within 6 months of completion. You’ll set the vision to ensure we’re teaching all that is needed to succeed as a Data Engineer. Your work will include creating projects and other materials to define students’ learning experiences.
This role will be a part-time contract role for a duration of 3~4 months (starting immediately) with potential for ongoing consulting work. We estimate a workload of roughly 15-20 hours/ week. You can work with us out of our office in San Francisco or remotely. This is a paid engagement.
You’ll work with our curriculum development team to create a Data Engineering course.
As part of this role, you will
- Set the vision for effectively teaching key data engineering concepts and skills
- Define learning objectives and course structure (units and projects)
- Collaborate with the instructional designers and other subject matter experts to build the full curriculum. This includes:
- Designing, writing, and building course projects (and associated resources)
- Curating high-quality resources (videos, articles) that effectively teach course topics
- Writing descriptions that summarize and explain the importance of each topic covered in the course
- Create rubrics for mentors to evaluate student work (especially course projects)
- Currently working as a Data Engineer in the U.S. for 3+ years including experience with data warehousing, ETL, big data systems, data modeling and schema design, and owning data quality.
- 1+ years of experience hiring and/or managing Data Engineers
- Passion for teaching. Previous teaching experience is a huge bonus.
- Understanding of Data Engineering landscape and how the field varies across companies
- Ability to identify the tools and industry practices students need to learn to successfully become Data Engineers
- Clear point-of-view on what skills are needed for an entry level Data Engineer role and how to teach them in a structured manner
- Proven ability to create projects with clear instructions and documentation
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
- Able to work independently and produce high-quality work without extensive supervision
- Diligent about meeting deadlines
- A collaborator working efficiently with a diverse group of individuals
- Receptive and responsive to feedback and are willing to iterate on work
- Passionate about education
- 15-20 hours of work/week for 3-4 months, starting immediately
- Must be available to connect synchronously during PST working hours on weekdays
- Can be remote or work from our SF office
Back to top