Global Observability Strategist
*** Please note that this is a heavy technical, hands-on role.
The primary function of the GTM Strategy & Specialization organization is to unify, advance and expand the value of the Splunk portfolio by providing deep domain expertise to drive execution and incubate new and emerging Security, IT and DevOps use-cases and solutions. Over time, Global Strategists will transition successful incubation-stage use cases and solutions to in-theater Prime RSM, Sales Engineer and Solution Architect competencies and roles, while they will continue to focus on what's new and what's next to stay ahead of customer, market, and technology trends.
As an Observability Strategist focused on customer adoption, your focus will be on developing an Observability customer maturity journey across our solutions to accelerate customer value or "time to wow". You will be one of a small global team of domain "black belts" in Observability that will execute closely with theater partners in AMER, EMEA, and APAC, and report up through the Global GTM organization. You will be responsible for driving the execution, adoption and success metrics for emerging and incubation-stage Observability use-cases and solutions for your assigned theater and region, while also fulfilling global responsibilities to help evangelize and advance the Splunk Observability brand, product, and GTM strategy.
Both the global and theater aspects of your role will require you to interface cross-functionally at both theater and global levels for sales, technical sales, customer success, customer adoption marketing, customer advocacy, and product management.
This is a hands-on role focused on the Observability customer journey and creating a high-value adoption playbook based on common Observability use cases that requires the ability to execute the incubation-stage use cases, with the goal of making the motions repeatable and eventually scaling them to be executed by the broader Splunk field team over time. In this role, you will play a key role for customer feedback back into Observability product development efforts focused on adoption, UI/UX, GDI, OTEL, and cross-functional o11y adoption leader influencing adoption content & resources for customer & practitioner marketing, CS adoption playbooks, and new field solution development to accelerate common customer use cases and showcasing unique o11y customer use cases.
- Develop and refine emerging information observability use-cases for Splunk products that reflect priority customer challenges, market trends, the evolving observability landscape and unique business opportunities.
- Be a member of tiger teams to develop and test new customer adoption maturity models, adoption resources and playbooks, customer adoption workshops, unique .conf use cases CS / TSAM enablement content, and O11y thought leadership to showcase and accelerate adoption of emerging monitoring & Observability use-cases and solutions.
- Represent Splunk Observability internally as a GTM stakeholder in NPI, product release planning, customer initiative development in strategic growth areas for our customers and our business in observability.
- Evangelize Splunk Observability's vision, strategy and roadmap at industry events, conferences like Kubecon and AWS Reinvent, .conf, and local O11y user groups with global customers and partners.
- Mentor Observability talent, both within our O11y strategist team and across the customer success organization at Splunk as we look to continue to increase and advance Splunk internal expertise in Observability.
- Help execute priority theater and region-specific customer adoption, targeting global priority accounts and cloud provider technical sales for Observability use-cases and solutions.
- Work with technical sales leaders in your assigned theater/region to advance, mentor, and measure the development of observability pre-sales professionals in your region.
- Evangelize Splunk Observability's vision, strategy, and roadmap at regional industry events like Splunk .conf Go, local DevOps Days, and with customers and partners in your region.
- Translate customer requirements and deployment demands into prescriptive adoption journeys for customers and teams across infrastructure, networks, and developers as they move into modern cloud architecture. Accelerate time to value for cloud migration and new methods and solutions for O11y using metrics, traces, DEM, and stay at the forefront of logs metricization as the company strategy evolves.
- Provide expert-level technical domain and product guidance for all Splunk offerings and become a trusted advisor to guide customer journeys across Splunk's unique portfolio capabilities and shaping how customers' requirements come to life.
- 5+ years of customer-facing roles in enterprise sales - experience selling and working with pure SaaS solutions in multi-tenant architectures in technical sales, product or practitioner experience in the IT & Observability industry.
- 5+ years of industry observability domain expertise and experience including:
- Experience working in an engineering/software development environment with knowledge of current programming languages including Java, Python, PHP, .NET, Ruby, Node.js, Go, etc.
- Experience positioning solutions relevant to cloud architectures including containers or microservices on the AWS, GCP, and Azure platforms where you are certified or eager to become certified.
- Familiarity with common industry monitoring frameworks like Four Golden Signals, LETS, DORA, MTTx, etc.
- Familiarity with common observability products, data sources, data collector and instrumentation like Open Telemetry, and their use for basic and advanced detection methods, including cloud-based data sources.
- Familiarity with competing monitoring and observability technologies such as AppDynamics, Datadog, New Relic, Honeycomb, and Grafana is a real advantage in this role, as well as complementary DevOps and IT Ops technologies.
- Strong executive-level presence and polish, both internally and externally
- Experience managing customer implementation and adoption within complex observability enterprise organizations, preferably in a new/emerging market or with a new/emerging product- tailoring messaging up and down a customer persona (from CIO reporting to engineers/developers and SREs on the frontline of O11y operations)
- Ability to communicate concisely and accurately with no fear of public speaking to audiences large and small.
- Self-starter who is passionate about technology and the cloud space
- Ability to work remotely with a minimum of daily supervision and across multiple time zones.
- Demonstrated ability to work within cross-functional teams tasked with full sales lifecycle support.
- Portfolio of public-facing materials: whitepapers, blogs, presentations, or training that you have authored communicating technical concepts.
- Bachelor's degree in technical field required. Masters or equivalent a plus.
We value diversity, equity, and inclusion at Splunk and are an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
Note: Splunk provides flexibility and choice in the working arrangement for most roles, including remote and/or in-office roles. We have a market-based pay structure which varies by location. Please note that the On Target Earnings (OTE) ranges are guidelines and for candidates who receive an offer, the OTE pay will vary based on factors such as work location as set out below, as well as the knowledge, skills and experience of the candidate. In addition to OTE, this role may be eligible for equity or long-term cash awards.
Benefits are an important part of Splunk's Total Rewards package. This role is eligible for a competitive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, a 401(k) plan and match, paid time off, an ESPP and much more! Learn more about our comprehensive benefits and wellbeing offering at https://splunkbenefits.com.
OTE Pay Ranges
For sales roles the ranges are expressed as On Target Earning or OTE (OTE = base + incentives in the form of sales incentive plans).
SF Bay Area, Seattle Metro, and New York City Metro Area
On Target Earnings: $280,000.00 - 385,000.00 per year
California (excludes SF Bay Area), Washington (excludes Seattle Metro), New York (excludes NYC Metro Area), and all other states.
On Target Earnings: $268,000.00 - 368,500.00 per year