Senior Backend Software Engineer
Who you are: Do you like to build, tinker, tune, and optimize anything you can get your hands on? Are you a true believer in the power of using data to drive decisions? Are you an engineering-minded individual who’s passionate about constructing big, scalable systems and elegant solutions to gnarly problems? Spiceworks just might have your dream job! We’re looking for a senior-level data engineer whose perfectly coded plumbing can keep our data systems running without a hitch. Sound like you? It’s time to apply!
Who we are: Launched in 2006, Spiceworks is an Austin-based company that’s shaking up the tech space and transforming how products (hardware, software and IT services) are marketed and sold to millions of IT professionals around the world. Thousands of tech brands (including Microsoft, Dell, HP, and Rackspace) use Spiceworks to reach and connect with these IT pros. Historically a tough market to reach, vendors love the unique ways Spiceworks helps them connect with this elusive market… so much so that Forbes touted us “the future of media.”
What makes Development at Spiceworks different: We take a lot of pride in the culture we've created here at Spiceworks. Read all about it from the words of our CTO and Co-Founder, Francis Sullivan. Also, be sure to check out Fix It Week - a practice that has grown in the Dev department and one our team finds instrumental in their overall success.
Your day-to-day (as a Senior Engineer, you’ll):
- Have a significant role in the design and development of our advertising platform
- Figure out how to make systems faster and more scalable
- Zero in on areas where data can offer key insights to the business and help our users
- Mentor other developers and business analysts (from interns to junior-level engineers) on scalability and performance techniques
- Be an advocate within the company for scalable architecture
What does it take to do this job?
- 5+ years experience as a data, back-end, infrastructure, performance, or API engineer
- 2+ years experience building large-scale, distributed, high-volume systems
- Deep understanding of one (or more) of the following languages: Scala, Python, Go, Java, Ruby
- Experience with big data processing (Hadoop, Scalding, Hive, Storm, etc.)
- Bonus points if you’ve worked with Kafka, RocksDB, Akka, Cassandra, or HBase
- Passion for performance tuning
- Ability to work in an unstructured and dynamic environment
- Good communication skills: Being able to boil down and discuss complex ideas with other engineers required; confidence communicating with marketing and sales teams a plus
Back to top