As a key leader on the Spiceworks Editorial team, you’ll be the steward of communicating Spiceworks’ vast knowledge of IT pros and the industry to the world, in compelling, personal, and often unexpected ways. With volumes of unique industry trend data at your fingertips, you’ll suss out unique, thoughtful insights and craft stories that hook readers: you’ll cement Spiceworks as a thought leader and the “voice of IT.” A journalist at heart, you’ll lead the team to refine and execute a focused editorial strategy and calendar that spans PR, social media, blog posts, original content, video, email, speaking engagements, and more, with the goal of attracting and engaging readers from all walks of IT.
Launched in 2006, Spiceworks is an Austin-based company that’s earned the trust of IT professionals worldwide as the place to go for unbiased, peer-vetted insights and technology answers. Through our highly engaged online community and well-loved IT tools and applications, we have built a wealth of data, insights, and stories waiting to be told.
Your day-to-day, as Executive Editor...
- Define a comprehensive editorial strategy that elevates Spiceworks as an industry thought leader, and use sound editorial judgement to identify the issues and stories that will engage our audience.
- Serve as a credible subject matter expert across a range of IT disciplines. Quickly grasp complex issues and effectively communicate them in writing, video, and in person to a wide range of audiences.
- Serve as an outward face of the team, engaging face-to-face, online, and via phone with industry subject matter experts, influencers, journalists, and analysts.
- Refine Spiceworks voice and ensure our original content is on-brand and communicated with clarity, accuracy, and a human perspective.
- Build a healthy readership through a balance of regular and timely original features, as well as thoughtful curation of contributed (partner and reader) content in our various channels: on-site, social, PR, influencer, email, etc.
- Create content with a purpose: you have a keen sense of how to measure the impact of our content efforts and efficiently drive growth against our business goals. You revel in tweaking/optimizing our content offering to drive results: attracting new readers, engaging our active audience, and bringing readers back again and again.
- Partner with our Product and SEO teams to define product experiences that highlight our differentiated content and drive traffic through search.
- A team-centric, entrepreneurial spirit is key… things move quickly here, and you’ll need to expertly combine your creativity and operational excellence to manage multiple projects and tight deadlines while keeping your team and stakeholders in the know.
What does it take to do this job?
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 6+ years of experience in technology journalism / content direction, with 2+ years leading a team of writers.
- You’re equally comfortable with high-level strategy, results-driven content planning, and delivery excellence.
- You’ve got a strong understanding of IT Management/Operations space and the millions of IT pros we serve.
- You’re comfortable with principles and practices of modern search engine optimization (SEO).
- You’re highly creative, have strong attention to detail, and thrive in a rapidly-evolving start-up environment.
- You excel at communicating effectively to both internal stakeholders and external partners.
- And, to top it off, you’ve got great taste, judgement, and an eye for detail.
Back to top