North American Administration Leader
Spencer Stuart (www.spencerstuart.com) is a leading global executive search and leadership advisory firm. Founded in 1956 and privately owned, Spencer Stuart is the partner of choice among organizations seeking guidance and counsel on senior leadership needs. We work with clients across a range of industries, from the world’s largest companies to medium-sized businesses, entrepreneurial startups and nonprofit organizations.
As executive search and leadership advisory professionals, we know how much leadership matters. We help organizations develop individual leaders and leadership teams that will fit, perform and endure.
Our distinctive culture continues to attract, develop and retain exceptional people, who are committed to reaching for the highest standards of professionalism in our work.
At Spencer Stuart, we collaborate in teams to ensure that we bring the right industry, functional, geographic and leadership experts to bear on each client assignment. Our consultants bring years of leadership experience gained in the very sectors and functions for which we provide a range of talent-related advisory services. We are a global firm, working across geographies, reflecting the international reach of our clients, the diversity and mobility of senior talent, and the complexities of the global business environment.
At the core of our business is the work we do in Executive Search, which involves identifying, assessing and recruiting leaders. Spencer Stuart helps clients find the ideal individual who fits their leadership objectives – tailoring each assignment to reflect the client’s strategic goals and current business situation. The firm is renowned for its work at senior levels – from the Board and CEO to the full C-Suite and their reports.
While well-known for our capabilities in search, in recent years we have been expanding substantially our set of leadership advisory services – at the individual, team and organizational levels – to ensure that leadership, talent and culture are aligned and that they are optimized to drive performance, increase agility and deliver long-term, sustainable competitive advantage. Our advisory services include Executive Assessment & Development, CEO Succession, Team Effectiveness, Culture Shaping, Board Effectiveness, and M&A support (e.g., talent and leadership integration).
Spencer Stuart is continuing to invest in our growing set of capabilities and colleagues. With over 400 consultants and 1800 people in total, Spencer Stuart typically conducts more than 4,000 assignments annually across all of our work. We operate in 56 offices and 30 countries, and through over 50 practice sectors, around the world.
Spencer Stuart is looking for an individual to join as the Director of Administrative Operations for North America. This position requires extensive people, communication, organizational, planning and project management skills. The Director of Administrative Operations will lead the team of administrative professionals, (approximately 200 people) that support all areas of firm administrative operations. This is an opportunity for an accomplished operations professional to lead an administrative function at a regional level.
As a leader in the firm, this person will work with the regional and corporate management teams to guide our exceptional administrative talent as we continue to grow in the complexity and breadth of our services and tools. This is an exciting time at Spencer Stuart in which multiple initiatives are underway.
The Director of Administrative Operations will report to the head of North America. This individual will also partner with various business area leaders across offices and practices.
This is an important strategic role, supporting our progress against our overall strategic business plan.
The ideal candidate is inquisitive, people-centric, passionate about effective business administration, and energized by leading a world-class function that will sustain long-term firm growth and success.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITY AREAS
- Function Leadership
- Ultimate responsibility for the national team of administrative professionals, including but not limited to work flow management, implementing consistent standards of excellence and ensuring the continuation of the high quality work that has differentiated Spencer Stuart in the professional services industry.
- Background in continuous improvement and change management in support of professional service/client service activities
- Utilization of technology to enhance and advance administration/support capabilities
- Knowledgeable in the latest trends in the market, incorporating appropriate new concepts into firm administration
- People Leadership
- Essential capabilities to work with national/distributed teams in support of complex, matrixed team structures
- Define best practices, identify success metrics and monitor progress
- Career path development, and commitment to the continued professional development of the team and through training and ongoing education
- Oversight of team talent reviews, compensation, rewards, etc.
- Overall Business Support
- Business function assessment and enhancement (travel, facilities management, technology infrastructure)
- 3rd party provider assessment, management, continuous improvement
- Leader/Mentor and People Development
- Ability to culturally integrate and assimilate into a national team structure
- Serve as a mentor to senior members of the administration function, proactively working with high potential team members to further their opportunities within the firm
- Firm Leadership
- Work closely with overall Spencer Stuart leadership team to ensure world-class operational support of firm client operations
- Strategic thinker responsible for creating an end-state vision for Spencer Stuart administration function
- Build and maintain collaborative relationships with key internal stakeholders, including thought leaders and business/executive leadership.
IDEAL CANDIDATE EXPERIENCE & CHARACTERISTICS
- Accomplished operations/administration professional with 15+ years of experience, with a proven ability to be both strategic and tactical, seeing a task from concept to successful completion as an active member of the team
- Oversight of geographically dispersed administration/support function, preferably with a history of innovation and transformation to support evolving business models
- Management of cross-functional teams and multi-disciplinary projects with a track record of process improvement, critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Broader office and facilities management leadership experience as relates to general facilities management, catering, meeting/event production, support/infrastructure technology, internal and candidate travel, 3rd party management, etc.
- Experience with change management and organizational design in large matrixed organizations
- Experience setting strategic direction of administrative initiatives to support professional services engagements and client deliverables
- Must have the cultural sensitivity to understand and navigate a private partnership driven culture
- Strong matrixed team experience to align to the collaborative nature of this role and structure.
- Demonstrated experience leveraging both digital and traditional internal channels to create impactful communications that drive awareness and engagement
- Strong ability to derive clarity out of ambiguous situations
- Highly organized, detail-oriented with outstanding follow-through skills.
- Able to perform under tight deadlines and shifting priorities, and can successfully navigate a complex organization.
- Global perspective and understanding of business marketplace
- Self-starter, motivated, with a strong bias toward finding solutions and challenging the status quo. Thoughtful with a passion for excellence and desire to learn and grow
Back to top