Knowledge Manager, Leadership Advisory Services
Spencer Stuart is a leading global executive search and leadership advisory firm. Founded in 1956 and privately owned, Spencer Stuart is the partner of choice among organizations seeking guidance and counsel on senior leadership needs. We work with clients across a range of industries, from the world's largest companies to medium-sized businesses, entrepreneurial startups, and nonprofit organizations. The firm has 56 offices in 30 countries around the world.
Our Consultants bring years of leadership experience in the very sectors and functions for which we provide a range of talent advisory services. Our engagement teams are organized to maximize industry and content specialization, along with knowledge sharing across the firm. These client service teams are supported by first-rate Associates, Analysts, and Executive Assistants, and backed by state-of-the-art technology. We regularly work with colleagues across geographies, reflecting the international reach of our clients and the realities of the global business environment.
As executive search and leadership advisory professionals, we help organizations identify and develop individual leaders and leadership teams who will fit, perform and endure. The insights we bring and the advice we impart have a significant impact on the businesses we serve and on individual lives and careers.
We recognize these responsibilities and take them seriously. We adhere to a code of professional ethics, handling our relationships with clients, executives and colleagues with great care. We offer balanced advice with courage and honesty and treat sensitive information with the utmost respect and discretion.
Above all, we value quality — the quality of the services we provide our clients and the manner in which we navigate our interactions with individual executives and executive teams, whether we have been retained to recruit a senior executive, provide post-merger advisory recommendations or conduct a leadership assessment and development exercise.
Our distinctive culture continues to attract, develop and retain exceptional people to the firm, and we are resolved to continue reaching for the highest standards of professionalism in our work.
Leadership Advisory Services
The Leadership Advisory Services (LAS) Practice is an exciting, vibrant and uniquely dynamic practice environment within Spencer Stuart. Emerging in recent years as a key area of strategic focus for the Firm, LAS has experienced an accelerated growth trajectory in both product diversification (acquisition of Reya Group, release of “LP” and ExI 2.0) and scale.
Operating synergistically alongside the Firm’s market-leading Executive Search business, LAS professionals provide advice and partnership to clients navigating a range of key leadership and talent issues, including:
- Aligning culture and talent strategy with business strategy
- Maximizing team effectiveness
- Merger integration support
- Executive assessment and CEO succession
- Talent development and transition support
The LAS Knowledge Manager will be at the center of practice operations. S/he will drive the execution of practice-level activities in the areas of:
- Potential New Business (PNB) Support
- Knowledge Management and Marketing
- LAS Practice Operations
In alignment with the practice’s objectives, the LAS Knowledge Manager will develop a knowledge agenda with the ultimate goal of increasing the efficiency and effectiveness of business development activities and the execution of client engagements. S/he will work with LAS practice leadership to establish clear knowledge goals, objectives and priorities for the practice.
The Knowledge Manager will serve as central hub for the practice and a key ambassador facilitating collaboration and coordination between the LAS Practice and other areas of the Firm. S/he will be the first point of contact for inquiries regarding business development and marketing materials, and a critical central resource for timely PNB support, including the management of RFPs. The Knowledge Manager will also oversee the creation, capture, organization, and dissemination of best-in-class business development, marketing, and knowledge resources through both the LAS ShareSite (for LAS practice members) and the LAS PracticePoint site (for all Spencer Stuart colleagues). Lastly, the Knowledge Manager will partner closely with the LAS Global Chief Operating Officer to provide support for LAS practice administration and operations.
This position may be based in our Chicago or Boston office.
LAS Global Chief Operating Officer (solid line)
Other key relationships:
LAS Product Management and Development
LAS Knowledge Analyst, EMEA
LAS Consultants, Associates, Analysts, and Executive Assistants
Executive Search Consultants, Associates, Analysts, and Executive Assistants
Global Knowledge Management Team
Corporate Legal Team
Corporate Marketing Team
Potential New Business (PNB) Support
Support business development efforts and enhance PNB effectiveness:
Provide timely support for active PNBs
- Field requests for business development and marketing collateral, including standard pitch decks, brochures, sample reports, case studies, Intellectual Capital pieces, etc.
- Customize pitch decks, proposals, and engagement confirmation letters, generating new slides, graphics, and content as needed.
- Manage RFPs
- Provide project management and oversight for RFP deliverables and deadlines
- Coordinate the activities of various RFP team members and internal stakeholders
- Liaise with the necessary firm resources in Legal, Marketing, and Knowledge Management
Track and analyze PNB opportunities
- Maintain PNB tracker by proactively seeking out and capturing information on North American and global PNB opportunities
- Analyze and synthesize PNB data on a monthly basis
- Provide monthly reports to LAS Practice leaders
Knowledge Management and Marketing
Provide knowledge management support to the LAS practice and the firm, serving as the "go-to" resource:
- Develop, maintain, and leverage LAS practice knowledge and information
- Manage the redesign and continuous improvement of the LAS ShareSite (for LAS practice members) and the LAS PracticePoint site (for all Spencer Stuart colleagues)
- Work with the technology team and other internal resources to develop, implement, and promote new tools and technologies
- Ensure LAS PracticePoint is maintained with the most up-to-date, finalized sales, and marketing collateral
- Know the skills, experience, and interests of the practice members. Share targeted, relevant news and potential opportunities to select groups or individuals.
- Guide newcomers to the practice and firm to available resources to stay smart, pitch better, and execute more efficiently
- Actively contribute and participate in the firm's global knowledge management community, by sharing insights, ideas, and best practices with fellow Knowledge Managers (KMs)
- Support the development of best-in-class business development and marketing materials
- Support the development of standard business development and marketing collateral, including pitch decks, case studies, and other marketing materials
- Proactively reach out to LAS practice members to identify and aggregate existing customized business development collateral in order to inform the development of new, standardized collateral
- Identify external information and content (i.e. academic studies, publications, and statistics) to support the development of marketing materials
- Partner with the marketing team to establish and support an intellectual capital program for the practice
- Track market trends and competitive landscape
- Identify and synthesize key trends in the Leadership Advisory segment
- Review and summarize competitor websites and marketing collateral to provide insight on their offerings and how we can better compete
- Conduct surveys with LAS consultants regarding market or competitive trends
- Coordinate with Marketing and other resources to survey clients on market trends
LAS Practice Operations
Support practice leaders in implementing and tracking the success of practice strategies:
- Help plan and execute regional and global practice calls and practice meetings
- Track practice metrics, productivity, membership, and performance and provide other analyses as needed
- Synthesize financial/performance data into graphs and reports
- Prepare and support practice communications
- Seven or more years of business experience; knowledge of leadership and talent consulting, and/or organizational development is ideal
- Two or more years of experience in a consulting firm environment
- Ideally, the candidate will have some experience managing knowledge resources or a knowledge agenda
- Undergraduate degree required; advanced degree is preferable
- Superior business writing skills
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint; experience managing the customization of information-sharing technology platforms is a plus
- Strong graphic design and formatting skills
Critical Competencies for Success
Driving Results: Works to meet/beat explicit goals
- Works to achieve goals while overcoming obstacles and/or planning for contingencies
- Is proactive and shows strong feelings of urgency about reaching targets
- Checks work of him/herself and others against required quality standards
- Reviews performance and progress of key projects and initiatives on a regular basis to ensure team is achieving results, seeking corrective action if needed.
Customer/Client Mindset: Highly responsive to clients and follows good process
- Works to have things done correctly in order to maximize client satisfaction
- Uses consistent approaches and good processes to address client needs
- Respects client needs and places the highest importance on delivering timely and effective service
- Addresses client concerns both proactively and reactively
- Demonstrates a keen sense of urgency and professionalism in responding to client communications and navigating client situations
Collaborating and Influencing: Engages individually to build collaboration
- Invites and uses the opinions and perspectives of others
- Engages others in a dialogue to gain commitment and bring them "on board"
- Uses a range of influencing styles and adapts his/her own approach to the audience or individuals; anticipates the impact of his/her words and actions, prepares for possible resistance or pushback and responds in an appropriate, respectful manner
- Checks with both sides of a discussion to ensure common understanding
- Takes initiative to maintain relationships
Meet Some of Spencer Stuart's Employees
Business & Analytics Analyst
Roald shapes Spencer Stuart's insightful data analytics systems and helps build the strategic business intelligence models used by various departments and offices across the firm.
Back to top