Founded in 1956, Spencer Stuart is one of the largest global consulting firms specializing in senior-level executive search and board director appointments. With over 56 offices located in 30 countries in key regions around the world, there are over 300 consultants worldwide with a strong support group of associates and administrative personnel. Spencer Stuart conducts more than 4,000 senior-level searches annually for clients ranging from Fortune 500 companies (including a number of global accounts) to private equity-based businesses, start-up companies and non-profit organizations. The successful search consulting team partners with an organization to select and recruit the “right leader” thus making a positive impact not only on the entire client organization but, in some cases, the industry itself. In addition, a successful search, by definition, leads to significant career progression for the executive moving to the new position.
Spencer Stuart is organized around industry practices throughout all major business sectors. In addition, Spencer Stuart has built strong functional practices in the areas of: Information Officers, Marketing, Finance, Human Resources and Legal. With senior consultants bringing direct industry and/or functional experience and knowledge to its specialty practices, the Firm is focused on responding to and meeting its clients’ unique recruitment needs.
The Information Specialist primarily conducts sophisticated business research on behalf of the firm. Utilizing various online and print tools, requests are answered in a timely manner and delivered to the client in a way that best meets the requesters’ needs. Examples of routine research requests include: building target lists, finding biographical information, uncovering financials, and scanning recent press. The Information Specialist role may also specialize in the collection and dissemination of Competitive Intelligence. In addition to research, the Information Specialist acts as an industry resource expert working closely with Knowledge Managers to provide Spencer Stuart’s practices with access to niche information. Additional aspects of this position may include collection development and product evaluation.
Director, Global Information Services
Other key relationships:
Head of Research & Knowledge
Research Directors, Associates, Analysts
Consultants, Practice Leaders
Assignment and Business Development Related Research
- Conduct in-depth business research for requesters in the Financial Services industry and other industries in which we operate.
- Analyze and summarize research results in a way which best meets requesters needs.
- Advise others on the best strategies and resources for finding business information.
- Gain access to previously untapped information, giving Spencer Stuart a competitive edge in the executive search marketplace.
- Serve as a liaison to the Financial Services practice and other designated practices, developing relationships with Knowledge Managers, Practice Leaders, and members.
- Develop and maintain expert knowledge of research tools and information accessible for these industries.
- Evaluate new products and stay abreast of enhancements to existing products.
- Recommend products for purchase/renewal.
- Train end users via phone and/or in person, as needed.
Routinely make information available to the entire firm in the following ways:
- Forward pertinent industry research to Knowledge Managers for inclusion on the Intranet.
- Forward information of potential interest to research community.
- Attach research to the intranet and/or our proprietary database where appropriate.
- Maintain and distribute current Resource Listings and FAQ documents for Practices.
- Stay abreast of developments in the library/information services industry by attending appropriate meetings and conferences and maintaining association memberships.
- Share developments with others as pertinent.
CANDIDATE SPECIFICATION: KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- Master’s in Library and Information Science
- Minimum of two years’ experience providing financial services and business information in a professional setting where multiple projects and competing demands are the norm.
Critical Competencies for Success
- Proficient in the use of online business and research tools, such as LexisNexis, Factiva, and Capital IQ.
- Must possess analytical abilities required to formulate advanced research strategies, synthesize, and interpret data.
- Must have exceptional problem-solving abilities, including logical reasoning, creative thinking, comfort with numbers, and the ability to untangle complex issues.
- Experience with financial services databases such as Thomson, Bloomberg, SNL, Morningstar, or EurekaHedge is desirable.
- Familiarity with financial services sectors and related terminology with a focus on asset management, consumer financial services, capital markets, and insurance.
- Knowledge of industry publications such as Euromoney/Institutional Investor, Pensions & Investments, The Deal, American Banker, Hedge Fund Alert, and others.
- Must be alert and flexible to perform under short time constraints and meet deadlines of requesters. Ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks, with excellent project management skills and superior attention to detail. The pace of work is very fast. Quality of work is of the utmost importance.
- Strong customer service orientation. Skilled reference interviewer. Be able to work well independently with minimal supervision, yet thrive in a team setting.
- Self-motivated, energetic, inquisitive and tenacious.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
Spencer Stuart is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer F/M/Disability/Vet
Back to top