Engagement Manager, Leadership Advisory Services
ENGAGEMENT MANAGER, LEADERSHIP ADVISORY SERVICES
Spencer Stuart is a leading global executive search and leadership advisory firm. Founded in 1956 and privately owned, Spencer Stuart is the partner of choice among organizations seeking guidance and counsel on senior leadership needs. We work with clients across a range of industries, from the world’s largest companies to medium-sized businesses, entrepreneurial startups and nonprofit organizations. The firm has 56 offices in 30 countries around the world.
Our Consultants bring years of leadership experience in the very sectors and functions for which we provide a range of talent advisory services. Our engagement teams are organized to maximize industry and content specialization, along with knowledge sharing across the firm. These client service teams are supported by first-rate Engagement Managers, Associates, Analysts and Executive Assistants, and backed by state-of-the-art technology. We regularly work with colleagues across geographies, reflecting the international reach of our clients and the realities of the global business environment.
As executive search and leadership advisory professionals, we help organizations identify and develop individual leaders and leadership teams who will fit, perform and endure. The insights we bring and the advice we impart have a significant impact on the businesses we serve and on individual lives and careers.
We recognize these responsibilities and take them seriously. We adhere to a code of professional ethics, handling our relationships with clients, executives and colleagues with great care. We offer balanced advice with courage and honesty and treat sensitive information with the utmost respect and discretion.
Above all, we value quality — the quality of the services we provide our clients and the manner in which we navigate our interactions with individual executives and executive teams, whether we have been retained to recruit a senior executive, provide post-merger advisory recommendations or conduct a leadership assessment and development exercise.
Our distinctive culture continues to attract, develop and retain exceptional people to the firm and we are resolved to continue reaching for the highest standards of professionalism in our work.
Leadership Advisory Services Practice
In 2014, Spencer Stuart acquired Shanghai headquartered Reya Group, a market-leading provider of products, technology and services related to organizational culture and change management. With the seamless integration of Reya Group into its existing portfolio of Executive Search and Leadership Advisory offerings, Spencer Stuart is able to provide its clients with a unique dimension of insight regarding the style, capabilities and potential of individuals and teams.
Operating synergistically alongside the Firm’s market-leading Executive Search business, LAS professionals provide advice and partnership to clients navigating a range of key leadership and talent issues, including:
- Aligning culture and talent strategy with business strategy
- Maximizing team effectiveness
- Merger integration support
- Executive assessment and CEO succession
- Talent development and transition support
As the LAS practice continues to grow in both scale (revenue) and breadth (diversity and depth of advisory services), the LAS Engagement Manager participates actively in internal initiatives relative to LAS product development and the build-out of practice infrastructure.
The LAS Engagement Manager plays a critical client-facing role and supports Consultants in the full execution of client engagements, including the deep dive, multi-method assessment of executives and the formulation of written materials relative to assessment and development findings. The LAS Engagement Manager serves the Firm’s clients across a diverse range of industry sectors, including but not limited to consumer goods, industrial/manufacturing, financial services, energy, and professional services.
The LAS practice serves as an innovation hub for the broader firm. In addition to executing client engagements, the Engagement Manager serves as a subject matter expert relative to Spencer Stuart’s proprietary culture products and solutions. He/She plays a critical role in the education and training of internal colleagues (both LAS and Search) regarding product offerings and participates actively in internal initiatives for LAS product development and the build-out of practice infrastructure.
The objective of the LAS Engagement Manager is to provide world-class leadership advisory services to the firm’s clients while also serving as a key colleague and teammate in advancing the growth agenda of the practice within the context of the firm’s overall strategic objectives.
A typical LAS client engagement team may include: 1 or 2 LAS Consultants, 1 or 2 LAS Engagement Managers or Associates, 1 or 2 Search Consultants, and 1 or 2 Executive Assistants. We view the leadership advisory skillset to be portable across industries; the LAS Engagement Manager serves clients across a diverse range of industry sectors, including but not limited to consumer goods, industrial, financial services, energy, and professional services.
The LAS Engagement Manager role requires approximately 30-40% travel, primarily within the geographic/continental region of the person’s home office (ie EMEA, North America, APAC). Occasional global travel may be required.
The LAS Engagement Manager will ideally be based in Spencer Stuart’s Atlanta or Chicago office.
Regional Research Director (solid line)
LAS Consultant (dotted line)
Associate Practice Leader, LAS (dotted line)
LAS Practice Leadership
Office Manager at home office
LAS Executive Assistants
LAS Associates, Senior Associates, Engagement Managers and Analysts
LAS Product Management
LAS Knowledge Manager
Home office colleagues, both LAS and Search
Corporate training and information services
Client-facing: The Engagement Manager plays an active role in all aspects of the engagement lifecycle, from planning and execution through close. The successful Engagement Manager will handle multiple engagements across varied time zones with competing deadlines and will work effectively with individuals who have differing styles in order to consistently produce world-class deliverables for the Firm’s clients. Responsibilities include:
- At the outset of the client engagement, participates in stakeholder calls with client company executives, board members and/or other key stakeholders
- Assists in the development of client communications and engagement plan
- Manages interactions with both external client contacts and internal colleagues to ensure transparency and alignment throughout the engagement lifecycle ; communicates engagement progress to the client and/or engagement team at agreed intervals
- Administers proprietary LAS products and services
- Creates engagement updates and reports, leveraging strong copywriting skills
- Contributes to summary client presentations and other documents identifying key organizational, cultural and strategic findings across the engagement
- Participates in client meetings to relay culture findings
- In collaboration with Consultant, prepares and co-facilitates client workshops
- Participates in executive feedback sessions
Engagement management: In collaboration with relevant team members (including but not limited to Executive Assistants, LAS Consultants, and Search Consultants/Associates) the LAS Engagement Manager participates in the planning and management of the engagement lifecycle. Working with limited technology resources and a diverse group of internal and external stakeholders often spanning time-zones and geographies, the LAS Engagement Manager assists in driving high tough, high value engagement management and seamless execution:
- Demonstrates initiative and commitment by doing what is needed at all phases of the process
- Over time, develops an understanding of the resources required to execute all aspects of the engagement life-cycle; leverages this insight to consistently and proactively think ahead, develop engagement plans and timelines, and anticipate next steps
- Communicates engagement progress to the client and/or engagement team at agreed upon intervals
- Fosters close communication and builds strong working relationships with peer colleagues, including Executive Assistants, Associates and Analysts
- Manages a large volume of information with rigorous attention to detail; develops personal systems and tactics for maximizing personal organization and productivity
Practice building: Currently experiencing an accelerated growth trajectory and serving as a strategic incubator of sorts for the broader firm as it evolves its approach to assessment in search, the LAS Practice encourages an “all hands on deck” attitude from each of its members. The successful Engagement Manager is a self-starter who will operate comfortably in this environment characterized by rapid change and ambiguity. He/She will assist in driving structural and product-driven enhancements within LAS by:
- Participating actively in internal initiatives relative to LAS product development and the build-out of practice infrastructure, including integration of culture tools within new and existing products and services
- Practice-building activities may include but are not limited to: providing ongoing targeted feedback on current/existing LAS tools, assisting in the development of additional proprietary assessment tools and technologies, analyzing current business process methodologies and contributing to business process improvement initiatives, assisting in the due diligence of potential partner organizations or business development targets
- Building relationships with and proactively engaging with search colleagues; developing an understanding of the firm’s core search business and facilitating wider understanding of LAS products, services and strategy
CANDIDATE SPECIFICATION: KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
Ideal Skills and Experience
- Five or more years’ experience in relevant leadership advisory or strategy consulting environment with a focus on organizational development
- Superior business writing skills, as evidenced through project work or writing samples to be provided upon request
- Direct interaction/experience with executive-level clients is advantageous but not required
- Undergraduate degree from highly competitive university required. Advanced degree is preferable
- Excellent command of written and spoken English is required. Command of additional languages advantageous
Critical Capabilities for Success
Driving results: Works to meet/beat explicit goals
- Works to achieve goals while overcoming obstacles and/or planning for contingencies
- Shows strong self-motivation such as drive and urgency about reaching targets and can inspire others to achieve such targets
- Checks work of self and others against required quality standards
- Reviews performance and progress on a regular basis to ensure team is achieving results, seeking corrective action to address gaps or under performance
Collaborating and influencing: Engages individually to build collaboration
- Invites and uses the opinions and perspectives of others
- Engages people in a dialogue to gain commitment and bring them “on board;” linking their perspective to the intent
- Adapts own approach to the audience or individuals; anticipating impact of words and actions, preparing for possible resistance and responding in appropriate, respectful style, using a range of influencing styles with confidence and poise
- Checks with both sides of a discussion to ensure common understanding
- Takes initiative to maintain a network of contacts
Customer/Client mindset: Highly responsive to clients and follows high quality process
- Works to have things done correctly in order to maximize client satisfaction
- Uses consistent approaches and good processes to address client needs
- Respects client needs and places highest importance on delivering timely and effective service
- Addresses client concerns both proactively and reactively
- Demonstrates keen sense of urgency and professionalism in responding to client communications and navigating client situations
Spencer Stuart is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer F/M/Disability/Vet
Back to top