Director, Learning & Development Leadership Advisory Services
- Chicago, IL
The Director, Learning & Development, serves as a business partner to key leaders across our Leadership Advisory Services practice. The role drives learning and development plans, leads teams to design, develop, and implement new learning initiatives and works in conjunction with other learning team leaders on best practice sharing and global initiatives.
This critical and highly visible position will have extensive exposure to all levels of the Spencer Stuart workforce across the Leadership Advisory Services team in worldwide offices. The chosen candidate will play a key role in recommending programs that continue to foster Spencer Stuart's reputation as an industry leader.
Global Head of Learning & Development
Other Key Relationships:
Leadership Advisory Services Solutions Group
Leadership Advisory Services Talent Group
Extended Leadership Advisory Services Team
Chief Talent Officer
Global Learning & Development Team
- Partner with internal business stakeholders to assess needs and develop learning and development plans.
- Lead the design strategy, development, and implementation of key learning initiatives and programs.
- Develop communication plans and customize messages for stakeholders. Ensure consistent and targeted communication with business leaders and training participants.
- Lead project teams to ensure successful execution of learning and development solutions
- Lead external vendor relationships and work with content experts both inside and outside of the firm to create customized learning solutions.
- Lead and facilitate training sessions of various types. This includes classroom and remote training, small groups, large groups.
- Evaluate the success of training programs using various types of formal and informal techniques. Continually assess the longer-term effectiveness of programs and processes. Develop improvement plans where needed
The Director, Learning and Development is a collaborative, results oriented individual with a demonstrated ability to build strong relationships across all roles and levels in the organization. They are experienced in developing and delivering impactful training programs. The successful candidate will demonstrate developed leadership skills, consulting skills, and ability to gain commitment of internal partners while providing effective learning solutions for the firm's ongoing development.
A bachelor's degree is required. A master's degree or MBA is preferred.
A minimum of 10-12 years of experience in a professional setting
7-10 years of training experience, either as an in-house learning and development professional or consultant.
Learning & Development Expertise
Domain expertise in the areas of learning and development through a track-record of leading learning initiatives. Experience designing and developing effective learning solutions for professional service organizations a plus.
7-10 years of experience in leading and managing teams of learning and development professionals.
Fluency in English (written and spoken); additional language skills will be an advantage.
Critical Capabilities for Success
Works to meet/beat explicit goals.
- Works to achieve goals while overcoming obstacles and/or planning for contingencies.
- Shows a strong sense of urgency about reaching targets
- Checks work of self and others against required quality standards.
- Reviews performance and progress on a regular basis to ensure team is achieving results and/or seeking corrective action based on deviations.
Engages individually to build collaboration.
- Invites and uses the opinions and perspectives of others.
- Engages people in a dialogue to gain commitment and bring them "on board," linking their perspectives to the intent.
- Adapts own approach to the audience or individuals, anticipating impact of words and actions, preparing for possible resistance, and responding in an appropriate, respectful manner with a range of influencing styles.
- Checks with both sides of a discussion to ensure common understanding.
- Takes initiative to maintain contacts.
Lead and deliver quality programs and projects with successful impact.
- Align programs and project delivery with business priorities. Maintain strong relationships and dialogue with key stakeholders to continuously assess the priorities.
- Define and manage project scope, deadlines, and resources. Establish open and consistent communication with team members, sponsors, and other stakeholders.
- Partner with the business to define needs. Proactively identify potential issues that impact the business and be sought after for guidance/input.
- Engage leaders by thinking from their perspectives, tailoring communication style accordingly, and prioritizing content of communication effectively.
- Managing complex projects involving multiple stakeholders across multiple geographies. Demonstrate results in driving operational impact, bringing a strong mix of strategic and tactical skills.
- Sound professional judgment
- Experienced leader with strong coaching and interpersonal skills
- Interest and willingness to travel at times, including occasional global travel
Spencer Stuart is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer F/M/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Back to top