Data Analyst Intern
Spencer Stuart is one the world's leading executive search consulting firms. Privately held since 1956, Spencer Stuart applies its extensive knowledge of industries, functions, and talent to advise select clients, ranging from major multinationals to emerging companies to nonprofit organizations, and address their leadership requirements. Through 56 offices in 30 countries and a broad range of practice groups, Spencer Stuart consultants focus on senior-level executive search, board director appointments, succession planning and in-depth senior executive management assessments.
The successful search consulting team partners with an organization to select and recruit the "right leader" thus making a positive impact not only on the entire client organization but, in some cases, the industry itself. In addition, a successful search, by definition, leads to a significant career progression for the executive moving to the new position.
Spencer Stuart is organized around industry and function practices throughout all the major business sectors. With senior consultants bringing direct industry experience and knowledge to its specialty practices, the company is focused on responding to and meeting its clients' unique recruitment needs.
The Data Analyst Intern is responsible for interpreting data from our proprietary database, analyzing results using statistical techniques and providing insightful reports. The intern sits within the EMEA Industrial practice group that will prioritize the research. In some cases, the Data Analyst will be called upon to help produce industry and/or functional analysis in support of cross-border pan-regional search engagements and/or new business initiatives. This person is an EMEA Industrial practice resource interfacing with key team members within the practice as well as all corporate teams. This role is located in the Corporate Amsterdam office.
Other key relationships:
Associates, Senior Associates, and Consultants
EMEA Knowledge Analyst
Other Knowledge Analysts
- Work closely with the Global Knowledge Manager and Knowledge Analyst, Practice Associates and core practice members to develop research on key executives, companies and industry sectors using big data analysis.
- Hands-on support and execution of data analytics, data mining, process mining, Big Data analytics, and data visualization/visual analytics innovation initiatives with the purpose of understanding or making conclusions about market trends, key executives, companies, and industries.
- Develop and implement data collection systems and other strategies that optimize statistical efficiency and data quality.
- Identify, analyze, and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets.
- Develops industry and/or functional expertise by maintaining an awareness of industry trends and "best in class" leaders/future leaders.
CANDIDATE SPECIFICATION: KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- Strong research skills: Experience with collecting and organizing information from databases and/or internet resources. Ability to analyze and synthesize data into other formats. Familiar with business reference resources such as Factiva, Hoovers or OneSource.
- Computer literate: Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office platform (emphasis on Word, Excel, and PowerPoint applications).
- Creating and Innovating: Produce new ideas, approaches or insights; creates innovative products or designs; produces a range of solutions to problems.
- Education: Currently studying towards a university-level degree or a recent university graduate in Computer Science, Information Management, Econometrics, Statistics or relevant.
- Multi-lingual: Fluent spoken and written English is mandatory. Additional language skills are a strong-plus.
- International outlook: Experience of operating in an international network.
Analytical Skills: Synthesizes research for search assignments and provides a succinct and accurate point of view as measured by quality and timeliness of contribution to assignment/project objectives. The successful candidate will do this while dealing with short timelines and limited information by:
- Listening and asking insightful questions and displaying an ability to learn.
- Subjecting researched facts to extensive analysis and interpretation before drawing conclusions.
- Making inferential leaps in thinking to reach a solution despite incomplete or ambiguous information.
- Consistently performs at a high-level of quality and pays close attention to details.
- Possess a strong thought process when dealing with complex research or data issues. Ability to prioritize multiple projects by balancing priorities while producing a consistent volume of quality work.
- Displaying an ability to apply specialist and detailed technical expertise; using technology to achieve work objectives; demonstrate an understanding of different organizational departments and functions.
Project Management: Plans, manages, and drives own efforts in support of practice knowledge agenda as measured by timely completion of project tasks and feedback from project team members. The successful candidate will do this while handling multiple projects with other deadlines while maintaining on-going, long term projects. He/she will work with individuals who have differing styles, and can therefore manage challenging expectations by:
- Providing accurate and timely research information about executives, organizations, markets or other relevant sectors.
- Taking ownership of the project by doing what is needed at all phases of the research process, anticipating next steps and not waiting to be told what to do.
- Regularly reassessing priorities to align resources where/when needed and proactively re-prioritizing own workload to provide additional support to team where/when needed.
- Delivering on commitments on-time or notifying as early as possible if problems occur or deadlines will slip.
Professional Approach/Interpersonal and Communication Skills: Contributes to the efficiency and quality of teams in order to successfully meet project objectives as measured by Consultant, Associate, and peer feedback while working with individuals who have different styles by:
- Being authentic.
- Listening and asking questions to clarify understanding and demonstrate knowledge.
- Placing team goals ahead of individual goals.
- Ability to effectively convey new ideas, information or instructions in a written or verbal manner. Considering the needs of colleagues and adapting own communication style accordingly.
- Setting expectations and clarifying tasks to avoid wasting time and resources.
- Offering to work outside areas of responsibility when needed.
- Raising issues early and finding solutions collaboratively.
- Remaining poised when under pressure or handling unexpected challenges.
- Proactively sharing information with those who would benefit while being discreet with confidential information.
Other Personal Characteristics
- Strong client service orientation and sense of urgency.
- Credibility and maturity - proactive, confident, and assertive in a manner as evidenced by the ability to support his or her point with both factual evidence and experience-based opinion. Able to challenge in a non-confrontational manner, push back appropriately and to accept constructive criticism.
- Tenacity- track record of working successfully through situations where events were beyond his or her control by identifying the issues, and developing, and executing an action plan.
- Well developed social skills with a good sense of humor and, as a plus, experience in interacting with different cultures.
- Articulate and well-spoken, strong written and verbal communication skills; strong presentation skills; experience presenting to senior-level audiences.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize among competing demands.
- Strong analytical capability; ability to use data to drive insight.
- Sound business judgment; ability to identify and implement practical, realistic solutions.
- Ability to effectively manage and motivate team members.
- Team orientation; flexible; willing to change direction based on evolving firm needs; self-motivated.
Meet Some of Spencer Stuart's Employees
Business & Analytics Analyst
Roald shapes Spencer Stuart's insightful data analytics systems and helps build the strategic business intelligence models used by various departments and offices across the firm.
Back to top