Associate, Information Officer Practice
Founded in 1956, Spencer Stuart is one of the largest privately-held global executive search firms, specializing in senior-level executive search, board of director appointments and executive assessment services. Across its 56 offices in 30 countries, Spencer Stuart has a professional team of approximately 600 search Consultants and Associates.
As a private firm, we pride ourselves on fostering a special culture, which is both highly collegial and non-hierarchical – one in which intelligence, insight, excellence, responsiveness, humor, global spirit and interpersonal skills are highly valued.
Information Officer Practice (IO)
Spencer Stuart’s Information Officer Practice is the market leader in Chief Technology Officer, Chief Information Officer, Chief Data Officer and Chief Data/Analytics Officer searches, conducting more assignments for FTSE and Fortune companies than any of our competitors. There are about 30 consultants globally who operate in this space, conducting hundreds of searches annually at the most senior levels. Our clients include FTSE 100, mid-cap and emerging growth companies across a broad range of industries and sectors including consumer goods and services, technology, communications, media, industrial, financial services, life sciences, professional services, and government and non-profit.
Value Proposition of a Career in Executive Search at Spencer Stuart
- Establish lasting relationships as an advisor to C-suite clients on the most challenging leadership issues
- Provide career advice and coaching to candidates
- Deliver insight and recommendations on critical client challenges
- Develop your network of candidates and clients through your assignments, internal and external networks
- Develop/deepen functional and industry knowledge, and build expertise
- Learn through apprenticeship culture supported by formal training opportunities
The Spencer Stuart IO Associate plays a critical role in the executive search process. In partnership with 1-2 Consultants on each assignment, s/he works with the team on the development of the search strategy as well as the identification, cultivation and assessment of information technology leaders. Working on multiple assignments simultaneously, the IO Associate plays a critical role in managing and advising clients through regular updates, providing them with market feedback and insight into candidates’ motivations, strengths and development needs. The IO Associate is supported in his or her work by Analysts, Knowledge Managers and administrative staff.
We seek an Associate to join the IO practice in London who will work on behalf of clients across all industry sectors. Particular interest and/or experience in technology, media, communications, consumer goods and industrial goods industries is a plus. The Associate will work together with the IO Consultant on projects in the UK, throughout Europe and around the world.
Ideal candidates for the Associate role are passionate about people and have strong business acumen, intellect, judgment and communication and advisory skills. Associates work on multiple client engagements, drawing on research skills, project management ability, proactive and quality search execution, an ownership mentality, and strong, team-oriented delivery to meet specific client needs. Associates are expected to develop deep and insightful candidate pool knowledge over time across IT, Technology, Digital and Data functions.
The role is located in Spencer Stuart’s London office.
- Minimum 4-5 years of experience in technology / digital / data & analytics in a business or professional services environment. Demonstrating passion about technology and people is essential.
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills. Multiple languages a plus.
- Strong academic credentials.
- Skilled at research and providing insight from a vast range of proprietary and public sources.
- Experience working in a client service environment and/or a role where multiple projects and competing demands are the norm.
- Search experience a plus.
Please visit The Muse to learn more about the people and culture of Spencer Stuart https://www.themuse.com/companies/spencerstuart
Critical Competencies for Success
The Spencer Stuart Associate will have the following attributes:
Project Management: Plans, manages and drives own efforts to identify and develop a slate of quality candidates as measured by Consultant, client and candidate feedback. The successful candidate will do this while handling multiple projects with competing deadlines, working with individuals who have differing styles, and managing challenging expectations by:
- Taking ownership of the project by doing what is needed at all phases of the search process, anticipating next steps and not waiting to be told what to do.
- Constantly reassessing priorities in own workload to realign resources where/when needed and proactively offering to do the same for the wider assignment team.
- Being prepared, where necessary, to work longer hours and to be available out of working hours, committing to deadlines and communicating progress against them to the assignment team and/or client. Delivering on commitments on-time or notifying as early as possible if deadlines will slip.
- Leveraging the power of effective assessment and validation to surface quickly and efficiently outstanding, qualified candidates.
- Adapting personal approach when working with clients and colleagues of varying styles by probing to uncover what is important to each and adjusting communications and approach accordingly.
Judgment and Assessment: Ensures an efficient search process and quality outcome as measured by the time to complete an assignment and client satisfaction scores by maintaining expert knowledge of a candidate pool and an associated industry or functional area. The successful candidate will do so in an environment where clients increasingly want to meet candidates quickly, the pool of interested candidates may be limited, or the role to be filled may not be viewed as attractive in the marketplace by:
- Using knowledge of the market, a network of contacts, research tools and own experience to help develop the search strategy, provide an informed perspective, and help write a position specification that reflects the unique client requirements.
- Proactively targeting and contacting the most important business leaders of today and tomorrow, by making industry and third-party source calls to build candidate pool knowledge and to collect qualitative and quantitative information, and building credibility by demonstrating own knowledge of the industry and/or function.
- Using own knowledge and experience to frame the right questions to elicit information from the prospect/candidate about their experience, competencies, compensation details and other relevant data, and then make sound recommendations to the consultant on the person’s relevance for the role.
- Maintaining awareness of current business trends, staying abreast of economic news, reading the Wall Street Journal/FT (or other relevant press for the region) and industry-specific publications and remaining intellectually curious by asking questions and continually studying the business world.
Interpersonal Skills: Enhance the efficiency of assignment execution and the quality of outcomes, as measured by the client’s comments and internal metrics, in a fast-paced environment where you compete for Consultant and client attention and “mind share” and work with multiple stakeholders of varying styles by:
- Being authentic.
- Listening and asking questions to clarify understanding and demonstrate knowledge.
- Adapting own style to suit the communication needs of the other person.
- Setting expectations and clarifying roles to avoid duplication of effort and wasting precious time and resources.
- Raising issues early and finding solutions collaboratively to avoid problems.
- Remaining poised when under pressure or handling unexpected challenges.
- Distilling information from a variety of sources, develop an informed perspective and share that with others.
- Conveying information in a compelling way, beyond “just the facts” that resonates with the needs and audience.
- Sharing information with those who would benefit, including updating our proprietary database Quest.
Relationship Building: Deepens knowledge of the candidate pool and access to senior executives while proactively increasing internal visibility, awareness of expertise, and the ability to contribute on best teams as measured by Practice Leader and Research Director feedback in a matrix environment beyond immediate assignment responsibilities. The successful candidate will do this by: o Building an internal and external network in a thoughtful, strategic manner, ahead of needing it through a genuine interest in others and willingness to be helpful in addressing their needs over time without expectation of rewards.
- Building trust and credibility with key people in his/her core network by being generous with his/her time and assistance, connecting people to others who might help, remembering things that are important to the person, and identifying areas of common interest.
- Planning for and setting aside time for relationship building activities, including being opportunistic in identifying and using any and all opportunities to connect with his/her network and further his/her aim of building visibility and gaining knowledge.
- Seeking out and working with others who have complementary strengths beyond those most often worked with, offering his/her help and ideas and incorporating their input and expertise.
- Having a genuine interest in the development of others and offering his/her coaching as and when appropriate.
Meet Some of Spencer Stuart's Employees
Business & Analytics Analyst
Roald shapes Spencer Stuart's insightful data analytics systems and helps build the strategic business intelligence models used by various departments and offices across the firm.
Back to top