Associate, Financial Services Practice
Founded in 1956, Spencer Stuart is one of the largest privately-held global executive search firms, specializing in senior-level executive search, board of director appointments and executive assessment services. Across its 57 offices in 30 countries, Spencer Stuart has a professional team of approximately 600 search Consultants and Associates.
As a private firm, we pride ourselves on fostering a special culture, which is both highly collegial and non-hierarchical – one in which intelligence, insight, excellence, responsiveness, humor, global spirit and interpersonal skills are highly valued.
Financial Services Practice
The Financial Services practice is one of the firm’s largest, most successful, and globally integrated practice areas. Representing nearly one-fifth of the firm’s worldwide client base, the Financial Services Practice is staffed by experienced industry practitioners around the world.
Consumer Financial Services
Our Consumer Financial Services (CFS) practice is one the biggest and fastest growing segments of our overall Financial Services team. The CFS team conducts search work across functions for consumer and commercial banks, credit card companies and other specialty lenders, and payments companies. Typical searches in this space include CEOs, CFOs, Chief Credit Officers, and heads of business units. The CFS team also does a fair amount of Chief Marketing Officer search work for both large financial institutions, and smaller emerging growth companies as well. The group has seen particular growth in mobile payment, and digital marketing in the recent past, as firms change how they interact with consumers.
Value Proposition of a Career in Executive Search at Spencer Stuart
- Establish lasting relationships as an advisor to C-suite clients on the most challenging leadership issues
- Provide career advice and coaching to candidates
- Deliver insight and recommendations on critical client challenges
- Develop your network of candidates and clients through your assignments, internal and external networks
- Develop/deepen industry and functional knowledge expertise
- Learn through apprenticeship culture supported by formal training opportunities
- Meritocratic career development opportunities available
We are seeking an Associate to support the Consumer Financial Services team within the broader Financial Services group. This individual will work closely with one of our most accomplished consultants, Connie McCann. This Consultant works across consumer financial services (including retail banking, mortgage, credit cards, and payments), family offices, financial technology, and across a range of senior roles, which include CEO and Board positions. In addition, this individual will work with other financial services clients, including private equity firms, asset management firms, and insurance companies.
Ideal candidates for the Associate role include those with strong business acumen, strategic thinking, intellect, judgment and communication/advisory skills. This person will work across multiple responsibilities, drawing on project management skills, proactive and quality search execution, an ownership mentality, and strong, team-oriented delivery to specific client needs. Executive search skill sets include strong communication and assessment abilities applied to evaluating business experiences and professional competencies of top executive talent as they relate to a client’s specific need. Associates are expected to develop deep and insightful candidate pool knowledge in the financial services arena.
The position will ideally be based in Philadelphia, but there is flexibility for New York City for the right candidate.
- At least five years of business experience, ideally with financial services experience and at least two years in management consulting. Prior experience in executive search is not required.
- Strong academic credentials; MBA or JD degree preferred.
- Experience working in a client service environment and/or a role where multiple projects and competing demands are the norm.
- Demonstrated writing skills.
Back to top