Associate, Boards Practice
Spencer Stuart has been a worldwide leader in director search and other board advisory services for more than 30 years. We recruit chairmen and directors for public, private equity-backed, major private and family-owned companies, as well as startups and nonprofit organizations. We have a strong local presence in key markets around the world and our consultants have access to a growing pool of high-quality international directors.
Our knowledge of board dynamics and privileged access to and knowledge of the most sought-after directors helps clients build balanced and effective boards.
The Board Practice at Spencer Stuart includes some of the highest-regarded and sought-after leaders in the executive search industry including North American Board Practice leader Julie Daum.
The Associate will focus on Board searches across a range of industry sectors. S/he will partner with and assist Consultants within the Board Practice in all aspects of the Board search process including: drafting position specifications; developing search strategy; conducting market and candidate research; developing candidates; creating candidate reports and assessments; and referencing and creating reference reports.
Successful candidates for the Board Associate position will also have strong project management ability, results orientation, rigorous attention to details, intellectual curiosity and enjoy the challenge of working internally with a variety of Consultants, and externally with diverse, senior-level executives and board members. Board Associates will be expected to acquire deep and insightful candidate pool knowledge over time.
The Board Associate role we are recruiting for will ideally be based in New York or Philadelphia
- 5+ years of business experience - At least five years of professional services, journalism, legal or executive search experience with significant time spent in search
- Experience working in a high-performance environment - Experience working in a high-performance and fast-paced environment in a role where multiple projects and competing demands are the norm.
- Strong business acumen - Strong business acumen with familiarity and exposure to a board range of industries is required.
- Strong academic credentials - A graduate degree in a relevant field is a plus but not required.
Communication Skills - Ensure that the search team has a clear, unambiguous understanding of the client and search by:
- Attending the client meeting (or participating by phone) to improve the understanding of the client, situation, and culture of the organization.
- Some involvement in PNB (Potential New Business) preparation including sharing market/candidate pool knowledge and potential questions to ask client based on understanding of client situations at this stage.
- Securing information/resources that will impact focus, speed and efficiency of the process. This would include such things as company information, potential prospects/sources, target lists.
- Taking ownership for the process by committing to deadlines, communicating progress regularly and delivering on that commitment. Anticipating what needs to happen next to drive the search to conclusion.
- Constantly reassessing priorities in own workload, aligning available resources effectively and making adjustments if required.
- Assisting in the content side of client ready documentation - as requested by the Consultant. This could include drafting position specifications, candidate presentations, and Board reports.
- Communicating realistic timelines to the consultant - and when the clients is setting unrealistic expectations, arming the Consultant with information that will allow him/her to manage this.
- Increasing the available pool of candidates by thinking "out of the box" to suggest where excellent candidates may be found, parallel industries to look at and issues that might impact the ability to attract people and suggestions to overcome these including:
- Leveraging his/her network of contacts across the Firm or in the market to "get smart" quickly.
- Utilizing the online tools and the Firm's database to pull relevant information quickly and efficiently.
- As challenges arise, communicate with the team as quickly as possible to determine amongst the team how to best consistently address.
- Meticulous attention to details that may impact the quality of our service.
Spencer Stuart is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer F/M/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Meet Some of Spencer Stuart's Employees
Recruitment is not going away, and it's in flux and evolving. And at the edge of those changes there is a lot of opportunity. It can be really creative.
Back to top