Analyst, Technology, Media & Telecommunications Practice
ANALYST, TECHNOLOGY, MEDIA & TELECOMMUNICATIONS PRACTICE
Founded in 1956, Spencer Stuart is the largest privately held global executive search firm specializing in senior-level executive search and board director appointments. With 56 offices located in 30 countries in key regions around the world, Spencer Stuart operates as a partnership and is staffed by more than 400 Consultants with a strong support group of Associates, Analysts and administrative personnel.
Our core business is identifying, assessing and recruiting leaders. Spencer Stuart helps clients find the ideal individual who fits their leadership objectives, tailoring each assignment to reflect clients' strategic goals and current business situation. The firm is renowned for its work at the CEO, COO and general management levels, and partners with a diverse group of clients across a broad range of industries and sectors. Spencer Stuart conducts more than 4,000 senior-level executive and board searches annually for clients ranging from Fortune 500 companies to private equity-based businesses, start-up companies and not-for-profit organizations. In addition, our consultants advise leading companies on CEO succession planning and provide in-depth executive assessment services.
Spencer Stuart is organized around industry and functional practices throughout all the major business sectors. With senior consultants bringing direct industry experience and knowledge to its specialty practices, the company is focused on responding to an meeting its clients' unique recruitment needs.
The Analyst for the TMT Practice is responsible for researching publicly available information on executives, companies and industries to enhance the content of our database and to support our search engagements and new business initiatives. This includes executive identification, competitive information and target company list development. The Analyst provides materials, analysis and conclusions to be incorporated into client-ready products. This person is a practice resource interfacing with key team members within the practice as well as all corporate teams. This role is to based in our Amsterdam Corporate office and is focused to serve our TMT team in the EMEA region.** ****
Practice Knowledge Manager
Other key relationships:
Research and Knowledge Analysts
Global Information Services
Associates, Senior Associates and Consultants
- Work closely with the Knowledge Manager, Practice Associates and core practice members to develop research on key executives, companies and industry sectors.
- Provide detailed analysis in support of special projects, candidate pool development and general practice administration, as well as external business development and intellectual capital efforts.
- Through research via the internet and specialized business information databases, populate our proprietary database, QuestNT, with essential data on executives and companies as identified and prioritized by the practice.
- Assist in improving the visibility of the internal Intranet platform by enhancing its layout, functionality and content. Manage and update information important to the practice (i.e. relevant company, executive and industry lists/reports).
- Assist in providing content for qualifications packs for new business development initiatives. Develops a solid understanding of the potential client/client's industry including specific information regarding the "value proposition" (competitive landscape, strengths, and weaknesses), stock performance, employee count, etc. Synthesize information accurately.
- Maintain current awareness of news and issues associated with key client engagements and market opportunities for the practice and share that information and knowledge in a timely way with knowledge management, consultants and associates.
- Assist in high level name generation and organization chart creation. Contribute to the long list creation by leveraging internal and external databases to provide commentary on potential candidates.
- Develops industry and/or functional expertise by maintaining an awareness of industry trends and "best in class" leaders/future leaders.
Candidate Specification: Key Selection Criteria
- Strong research skills: Experience with collecting and organizing information (on executives) from databases and/or internet resources. Ability to analyze and synthesize data into other formats. Familiar with business reference resources such as Factiva, Hoovers or OneSource.
- Computer literate: Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office platform (emphasis on Word, Excel and PowerPoint applications). Technology savvy re. new media, web technologies.
- Service industry expertise: 1 - 3 years' experience working in a consulting environment and/or a role involving significant client service and the management of multiple projects toward tight timelines in an environment where competing demands are the norm. Experience in Technology, Media or Telecommunications sectors is a plus, an interest in the TMT Segments is a must.
- Education: an undergraduate degree is required.
- Multi-lingual: Fluent spoken and written English is mandatory. Additional language skills are a strong-plus.
- International outlook: Experience of operating in an international network.
Project Management: Plans, manages and drives own efforts in support of new business development and search assignment support as measured by timely completion of project tasks and feedback from project team members. The successful candidate will do this while handling multiple projects with competing deadlines, working with individuals who have differing styles, and managing challenging expectations by:
- Providing accurate and timely research information about executives, organizations, markets or other relevant sectors.
- Taking ownership of the project by doing what is needed at all phases of the research process, anticipating next steps and not waiting to be told what to do.
- Regularly reassessing priorities to align resources where/when needed and proactively reprioritizing own workload to provide additional support to assignment team where/when needed.
- Being prepared, where necessary, to work longer hours and to be available out of working hours, committing to deadlines and communicating progress against them to the assignment team and/or client.
- Delivering on commitments on-time or notifying as early as possible if problems occur or deadlines will slip.
Analytical Skills: Synthesizes research for search assignments and provides a succinct and accurate point of view as measured by quality and timeliness of contribution to assignment/project objectives. The successful candidate will do this while dealing with short timelines and limited information by:
- Listening and asking insightful questions.
- Leveraging knowledge of an industry/function/sector and appropriate resources to gather relevant information.
- Subjecting researched facts to extensive analysis and interpretation before drawing conclusions.
- Making inferential leaps in thinking to reach a solution despite incomplete or ambiguous information.
- Making decisions rapidly, despite the complexity of the issues or pressures involved.
- Using effective business writing skills to create succinct, client-ready analyses and documenting information in Firm databases.
Professional Approach/Interpersonal and Communication Skills Contributes to the efficiency and quality of teams in order to successfully meet project objectives as measured by Consultant, Associate and peer feedback while working with individuals who have different styles by:
- Being authentic, outgoing and an outstanding communicator.
- Listening and asking questions to clarify understanding and demonstrate knowledge.
- Placing team goals ahead of individual goals.
- Considering the needs of colleagues and adapting own communication style accordingly.
- Setting expectations and clarifying tasks to avoid wasting time and resources.
- Offering to work outside areas of responsibility when needed.
- Raising issues early and finding solutions collaboratively.
- Remaining poised when under pressure or handling unexpected challenges.
- Proactively sharing information with those who would benefit while being discreet with confidential information.
- No "nine to five" mentality, but an eye for achieving deadlines and able to work under time pressure.
Back to top