Analyst, Technology, Media & Telecommunications Practice
Spencer Stuart is one of the world’s leading executive search consulting firms. Privately held since 1956, Spencer Stuart applies its extensive knowledge of industries, functions and talent to advise select clients — ranging from major multinationals to emerging companies to nonprofit organizations — and address their leadership requirements. Through 56 offices in 30 countries and a broad range of practice groups, Spencer Stuart consultants focus on senior-level executive search, board director appointments, succession planning and in-depth senior executive management assessments.
The successful search consulting team partners with an organization to select and recruit the “right leader” thus making a positive impact not only on the entire client organization but, in some cases, the industry itself. In addition, a successful search, by definition, leads to a significant career progression for the executive moving to the new position.
Spencer Stuart is organized around industry and functional practices throughout all the major business sectors. With senior consultants bringing direct industry experience and knowledge to its specialty practices, the company is focused on responding to and meeting its clients’ unique recruitment needs.
The Analyst is responsible for producing industry and/or functional analysis reports in support of search engagements, specialty practices and new business initiatives. This includes competitive information, product information and target company list development. The Analyst provides analysis and conclusions to be incorporated into a client-ready document.
Technology, Media & Telecommunications Practice
Representing over 15% of Spencer Stuart's worldwide client base, our Technology, Media, and Telecommunications (TMT) Practice consists of industry specialists who have conducted over 4,000 senior-level executive searches over the past five years.
Our global Technology Practice is modeled to reflect the cross-border presence of our clients. We operate within a global network, spanning strategic markets worldwide. We collaborate in best teams across locations and practice areas to ensure that every search benefits from an optimal combination of industry, functional and geographic expertise.
Research Director/Practice Leader (as applicable)
Associates and Consultants (on a project basis)
Other Key Relationships:
Consultants, Associates, Senior Associates
Global Information Services/European Knowledge Services
ID/Practice Analysts/Knowledge Analysts
- Assist in the creation of content for qualifications packs for new business development initiatives. Develops a solid understanding of the potential client/client’s industry including specific information regarding the “value proposition” (competitive landscape, strengths, and weaknesses), stock performance, employee count, etc. Synthesize information accurately, so that it is easily incorporated into a readable, client-ready document.
- Maintain current awareness of news and issues associated with key client engagements and market opportunities and share that information and knowledge in a timely way with associates, consultants and knowledge management.
- Assist in high level name generation and organization chart creation. Contribute to the long list creation by leveraging internal and external databases to provide commentary on potential candidates.
- Participate in kick-off meetings with Associates and Consultants to assist in the development of the search strategy. Directly assist Associates with search-related tasks, such as the development of a search strategy and target list.
- Develop industry and/or functional expertise by maintaining an awareness of industry trends and “best in class” leaders/future leaders.
CANDIDATE SPECIFICATION: KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- An undergraduate degree.
- Familiar with business reference resources such as Factiva, Hoovers or OneSource.
- Two year’s experience using Microsoft’s Word, Excel and PowerPoint programs.
- Has completed research that includes a financial/statistical analysis of a business, industry, or market.
- Fluent in English (written & spoken); additional language skills will be an advantage.
Project Management – Plans, manages and drives own efforts in support of new business development and search assignment support as measured by timely completion of project tasks and feedback from project team members. The successful candidate will do this while handling multiple projects with competing deadlines, working with individuals who have differing styles, and managing challenging expectations by:
- Providing accurate and timely research information about executives, organizations, markets or other relevant sectors.
- Taking ownership of the project by doing what is needed at all phases of the research process, anticipating next steps and not waiting to be told what to do.
- Regularly reassessing priorities to align resources where/when needed and proactively reprioritizing own workload to provide additional support to assignment team where/when needed.
- Being prepared, where necessary, to work longer hours and to be available out of working hours, committing to deadlines and communicating progress against them to the assignment team and/or client.
- Delivering on commitments on-time or notifying as early as possible if problems occur or deadlines will slip.
Analytical Skills – Synthesizes research for business development initiatives, search assignments or intellectual capital initiatives and provides a succinct and accurate point of view as measured by quality and timeliness of contribution to assignment/project objectives. The successful candidate will do this while dealing with short timelines and limited information by:
- Listening and asking insightful questions.
- Leveraging knowledge of an industry/function/sector and appropriate resources to gather relevant information.
- Subjecting researched facts to extensive analysis and interpretation before drawing conclusions.
- Making inferential leaps in thinking to reach a solution despite incomplete or ambiguous information.
- Making decisions rapidly, despite the complexity of the issues or pressures involved.
- Using effective business writing skills to create succinct, client-ready analyses and documenting information in Firm databases.
Professional Approach** – Contributes to the efficiency and quality of teams in order to successfully meet project objectives as measured by Consultant, Associate and peer feedback while working with individuals who have differing styles by:
- Being authentic.
- Listening and asking questions to clarify understanding and demonstrate knowledge.
- Placing team goals ahead of individual goals.
- Considering the needs of colleagues and adapting own communication style accordingly.
- Setting expectations and clarifying tasks to avoid wasting time and resources.
- Offering to work outside areas of responsibility when needed.
- Raising issues early and finding solutions collaboratively.
- Remaining poised when under pressure or handling unexpected challenges.
- Proactively sharing information with those who would benefit while being discreet with confidential information.
Meet Some of Spencer Stuart's Employees
Business & Analytics Analyst
Roald shapes Spencer Stuart's insightful data analytics systems and helps build the strategic business intelligence models used by various departments and offices across the firm.
Back to top