ANALYST, INDUSTRIAL PRACTICE
Spencer Stuart is one of the world’s leading executive search consulting firms. Privately held since 1956, Spencer Stuart applies its extensive knowledge of industries, functions and talent to advise select clients — ranging from major multinationals to emerging companies to nonprofit organizations — and address their leadership requirements. Through 56 offices in 31 countries and a broad range of practice groups, Spencer Stuart consultants focus on senior-level executive search, board director appointments, succession planning and in-depth senior executive management assessments.
The successful search consulting team partners with an organization to select and recruit the “right leader” thus making a positive impact not only on the entire client organization but, in some cases, the industry itself. In addition, a successful search, by definition, leads to a significant career progression for the executive moving to the new position.
Spencer Stuart is organized around industry and functional practices throughout all the major business sectors. With senior consultants bringing direct industry experience and knowledge to its specialty practices, the company is focused on responding to and meeting its clients’ unique recruitment needs.
Our global Industrial Practice conducts nearly 1,400 searches each year and is structured to reflect the cross-border presence of our clients. We operate within a global network, spanning strategic markets worldwide. We collaborate in best teams across locations and practice areas to ensure that every search benefits from an optimal combination of industry, functional and geographic expertise. The team has expertise across the following highly diverse and specialized sectors: Aerospace, Agriculture, Automotive, Aviation, Building Products, Chemicals, Construction, Defense, Electrical Products, Industrial Distribution, Industrial Machinery & Equipment, Industrial Services, Metals, Mining, Paper, Packaging, Third-Party Logistics and Transportation.
The Industrial Practice Analyst is responsible for researching publicly available information on executives, companies and industries to enhance the content of our database, support new business initiatives, support intellectual capital development and assist with general Practice administration. This includes executive identification, market analysis, competitive information, target company list development and other ad hoc needs. The Analyst provides materials, analysis and conclusions to be incorporated into client-ready products, to be delivered internally or externally. This person is a practice resource interfacing with key team members within the Practice as well as all corporate teams.
Other Key Relationships:
Associates and Consultants (on a project basis)
Associate Practice Leader
Other Knowledge Managers
- Work closely with the Knowledge Manager and Practice Leader to develop proactive research on key executives, companies and industry sectors.
- Provide detailed analysis in support of special projects and general Practice administration, as well as external business development and intellectual capital efforts.
- Assist in the creation of content for qualifications packs for new business development initiatives. Develop a solid understanding of the potential client/client’s industry including specific information regarding the “value proposition” (competitive landscape, strengths, and weaknesses), stock performance, employee count, etc. Synthesize information accurately, so that it’s easily incorporated into a readable, client-ready document.
- Maintain current awareness of news and issues in the Industrial market and share that information and knowledge in a timely way with associates, consultants and knowledge management.
- Assist in high level name generation and organization chart creation. Contribute to candidate pool development by leveraging internal and external resources.
- Assist in improving the visibility of the internal Intranet platform by enhancing its layout, functionality and content. Manage and update information important to the practice (i.e. relevant company, executive and industry lists/reports).
- Develop industry and/or functional expertise by maintaining an awareness of industry trends and “best in class” leaders/future leaders.
CANDIDATE SPECIFICATION: KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- A four-year undergraduate degree.
- Familiar with business reference resources such as Factiva, Hoovers or OneSource.
- Two years experience using Microsoft’s Word, Excel and PowerPoint programs.
- Significant research experience collecting and organizing information from multiple sources to deliver insightful analyses.
- Experience working in a consulting or professional services firm is a plus
Project Management – Plans, manages and drives own efforts in support active projects as measured by timely completion of project tasks and feedback from project team members. The successful candidate will do this while handling multiple projects with competing deadlines, working with individuals who have differing styles, and managing challenging expectations by:
- Providing accurate, timely and insightful research.
- Taking ownership of the project by doing what is needed at all phases of the research process, anticipating next steps and not waiting to be told what to do.
- Regularly reassessing priorities to ensure critical deadlines are met.
- Delivering on commitments on-time or notifying as early as possible if problems occur or deadlines will slip.
Analytical Skills – Synthesizes research for business development initiatives, practice initiatives or intellectual capital initiatives and provides a succinct and accurate point of view as measured by quality and timeliness of contribution to assignment/project objectives. The successful candidate will do this while dealing with short timelines and limited information by:
- Listening and asking insightful questions.
- Leveraging knowledge of an industry/function/sector and appropriate resources to gather relevant information.
- Subjecting researched facts to extensive analysis and interpretation before drawing conclusions.
- Making inferential leaps in thinking to reach a solution despite incomplete or ambiguous information.
- Making decisions rapidly, despite the complexity of the issues or pressures involved.
- Using effective business writing skills to create succinct, client-ready analyses.
- Showing a desire to consistently seek out new and better ways to achieve desired outcomes.
Professional Approach – Contributes to the efficiency and quality of teams in order to successfully meet project objectives while working with individuals who have differing styles by:
- Being authentic.
- Having a “can-do” and service-focused attitude with a sense of urgency and commitment.
- Listening and asking questions to clarify understanding and demonstrate knowledge.
- Placing team goals ahead of individual goals.
- Considering the needs of colleagues and adapting own communication style accordingly.
- Setting expectations and clarifying tasks to avoid wasting time and resources.
- Offering to work outside areas of responsibility when needed.
- Self-motivated, energetic; consistently performs at a high level and pays close attention to details.
- Raising issues early and finding solutions collaboratively.
- Remaining poised when under pressure or handling unexpected challenges.
- Proactively sharing information with those who would benefit while being discreet with confidential information.
- No ‘nine to five’ mentality, but an eye for achieving deadlines and able to work under time pressure.
Spencer Stuart is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer F/M/Disability/Vet
Back to top