Sr. Software Engineer (Sovrn Labs)
We spend a great deal of our time online. Whether it’s for information, commerce, or entertainment, each of us has come to depend on what we research, discover, and share. Publishers – those who create and curate content – are what makes the Internet great. Yet these publishers practice their craft largely alone, in siloes – without reference points or insightful understanding about where they sit in the grand scheme of things. To add to the challenge, once a Publisher’s content is in the wild, then the task of building engagement, growing a loyal following and enriching the engagement with that following can sometimes feel like shots in the dark or worse, a black box. Moreover, making money from their craft can be a complex task for any independent publisher who might prioritize generating content first and money second.
Sovrn believes that independent publishers are the Internet's vibrancy. As a partner and advocate to tens of thousands of independent publishers, Sovrn provides tools, technologies and services that help publishers (a) make money; (b) get distribution to grow their audience; and (c) access a massive data commons providing extraordinary insights.
The landscape of content networks, adtech vendors, and the myriad of buy-side / sell-side companies can be a complete maze for any reasonable person to decipher. Sovrn cuts through the noise and simplifies things with a basic, straightforward mission:
Help content creators do more of what they want to do – and less of what they don’t.
Sovrn Labs team is a small group within the company that focuses on building products beyond traditional ad tech. In 2017, we will be investing heavily in a new product that we believe will help hundreds of thousands of independent websites stay independent.
As a Software Engineer within Sovrn Labs you will be tasked with architecting, coding and researching a solution to a serious publisher problem. We have a pilot program launching in early 2017 and need you to help us move beyond that stage. Day to day you’ll be working on building out our highly scalable platform using NodeJS and Express, with an AngularJS UI. You’ll embrace our lean approach to develop products and build, test, and iterate in weekly development cycles.
What we are looking for
We are looking for an engineer with a strong entrepreneurial mindset who is able to understand opportunities in a market and work with product managers, and senior leadership to build products that meet a market need. They should self-motivated, able to work on small team with minimal supervision, and have a history of delivering high-quality code from ideation through QA. Ideal candidates include former founding members of start-ups and or developers that have have lead the development of new products.
If you don’t already have a strong ad-tech or publishing background you’ll need to be comfortable learning a new industry and spending a significant amount of your time becoming an expert on its future. If you have a strong background in ad tech — that’s great, but you'll need to start thinking about problems a little differently.
- Work within an agile environment to build and validate new potential products
- Development with an emphasis on user engagement and metrics that help decide what to build next and why
- 4+ years professional experience implementing web applications
- Strong software design and architectural skills
- Strong desire to expand and improve your software engineering skills
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL databases
- Experience building NodeJS applications, Angular JS, and highly scalable applications
- Experience implementing API services infrastructure and associated tooling
- Strong Unix skills
- Experience working within “DevOps”
- BS in Computer Science or Information Systems, or equivalent experience
- Familiarity with ad products and internet marketing
- Experience with Hive, Cassandra, Kafka, MapReduce
- Experience with TDD / BDD, such as cucumber framework
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Position Reports to: Director of Engineering
Meet Some of Sovrn's Employees
Director, Demand Operations
Alaina works with advertisers and technology buyers to enable and encourage them to place or buy ads on the publishing site. Then, she helps customers understand their ad’s performance.
Back to top