We spend a great deal of our time online. Whether it’s for information, commerce, or entertainment, each of us has come to depend on what we research, discover, and share. Publishers – those who create and curate content – are what makes the Internet great. Yet these publishers practice their craft largely alone, in siloes – without reference points or insightful understanding about where they sit in the grand scheme of things. To add to the challenge, once a Publisher’s content is in the wild, then the task of building engagement, growing a loyal following and enriching the engagement with that following can sometimes feel like shots in the dark or worse, a black box. Moreover, making money from their craft can be a complex task for any independent publisher who might prioritize generating content first and money second.
Sovrn believes that independent publishers are the Internet's vibrancy. As a partner and advocate to tens of thousands of independent publishers, Sovrn provides tools, technologies and services that help publishers (a) make money; (b) get distribution to grow their audience; and (c) access a massive data commons providing extraordinary insights.
The landscape of content networks, adtech vendors, and the myriad of buy-side / sell-side companies can be a complete maze for any reasonable person to decipher. Sovrn cuts through the noise and simplifies things with a basic, straightforward mission:
Help content creators do more of what they want to do – and less of what they don’t.
In this role of Data Scientist you will be responsible for become an expert of the Sovrn data asset. You will use your experience and expertise to develop algorithms spanning various mathematical, machine learning and computer science topics that will increase overall success and performance for our publishers. In addition, you will create best practices for understanding, reporting, and testing Sovrn’s data in a variety of ways.
- Develop, maintain and enhance programmatic solutions for our business
- Develop expertise in industry yield techniques to apply learnings to the Sovrn exchange
- Develop fraud detection algorithms based on our internal data set
- Create algorithms to generate site, page, and user based insights - demographics, buyer intent, segmentation - in support of the ads exchange and publisher insights
- Respond to high priority requests from senior business leaders
- Interface with business, product and engineering to gather requirements
- Learn and understand a broad range of Sovrn's data resources and know when, how, and which to use and which not to use
- Develop expertise in each data resource, methods to extract and process data (sql, hive, spark, python, R, etc...)
- Automate recurring report requests as needed. Ability to work in Sovrn source control, scheduling system, programmatic environment
- Recognize and adopt best practices in reporting and analysis: data integrity, test design, analysis, validation, and documentation
- Analyze and solve problems at their root, stepping back to understand the broader context
- Interface with other technology teams to extract, transform, and load data from a wide variety of data sources
- Bachelors degree or higher with a focus in Data Science, Analytics or Mathematics
- 3+ years experience as a Data Scientist/ Analyst, preferably with an AdTech or DMP organization
- Experience with R or Python, Hadoop, MySQL, SQL, large data stores
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Comfortable in fast-paced, start-up environments
Position Reports to: Sr. Director, Data Science
Meet Some of Sovrn's Employees
Director, Demand Operations
Alaina works with advertisers and technology buyers to enable and encourage them to place or buy ads on the publishing site. Then, she helps customers understand their ad’s performance.
Back to top